live sound/rock band reverb question..

AL P

hey guys, i recently hired a local band to play our party (we own a bike shop, and are having a big ole party this saturday)..
anyway, to save a few bucks, i told the band I`d supply the PA and do sound..LOL (basically set the volume-tone etc and leave it alone..)...Anyway, thier setting up inside, and the place is`nt all that big, so were planning on only micing the kick drum maybe, and vocals..that said..
I just realized that the board i plan on using has NO reverb.....so, at the risk of sounding ignorant....
hows the vocals gonna sound straight/raw?..LOL..
the building it`s self is primarily brick, so I`m thinking room reverb will cut it..LOL..

anyway, is the band going to think I`m an idiot, or what??..hahaha...

I`ve been a part time DJ for over 20 years, but running live sound for a band, is a bit different for me...shy of my own basement train wreck of a band years ago...
anyway, I just got to thinking about reverb, and wondering if running none, is going to sound too flat/dull..

I might be over thinking it, but just wondering if this may be an issue or not?..
I do have another board that does have reverb, spring reverb at that, but it`s a bit on the blink right now, and not sure i trust it...(filthy pods etc etc)......

this is the band, but with a different singer who they got together with for a side project recently., typically dont play "rap type" rock, but rather tool, alice in chains etc.
Prozak "End Of Us" (Feat. Sid Wilson aka DJ Starscream of Slipknot) Music Video - YouTube

thoughts??

I think the room's natural reverb will be fine unless they're going to do slow ethereal stuff. I get the feeling that's not likely.

dang..wish i had more time to get my act together, as i could plug in the ole US800, and try a lil`live recording...
hummm..I wonder if i should give it a whirl..lol

dang..wish i had more time to get my act together, as i could plug in the ole US800, and try a lil`live recording...
hummm..I wonder if i should give it a whirl..lol

Keep it simple. Record a mic in the room and the board mix on separate channels. That would free you to concentrate on the live sound.

Back