live sound question

coachbruck

For my audio recording I use the line out of my marshall as50d into an audio interface to make my acoustic videos for youtube. To get more sound for live performances I plan to use the DI out of the back of the amp into 2 behringer B210D eurolive active speakers I purchased. I read about so many who use a mixer with their PA, I'm basically using my acoustic amp as the mixer since I will only be doing solo performances that need mic and instrument inputs. My initial impression after testing my my setup is it sounds great and it can be very loud if needed. My question is what is the draw back of not using a mixer? I am basically using my acoustic amp as my sound monitor as well. Here is my youtube videos if you care to view. Another question is can I use the line out and the DI out at the same time? Nick Bruck - YouTube

If your set up works for you, then go for it.

The disadvantage of not using a mixer is that you are generally not able to massage the sound, for example, by using reverb and other effects.

You can use the line out and DI out the same time, but there is no point in doing so. Stick to the DI out.

The mixers just gives more/ more convenient control over things. If your rig does what you need it to do, you don't need anything else.

What they said. :thumbs up: A mixer could give you: phantom power for mic, seperately controllable reverb/chorus/fx on each input (rather than the same on both), more inputs.

If you're happy with the sound, then you're good. I always thought that recording directly out from the back of an amp gave a really "digital" sound. Even fuzzy sometimes. But that was always with an electric guitar playing some distortion. Acoustic I'm sure sounds nicer. I'd use the EQ on the mixer, but that's just my taste. Like the others said, if your happy, it's good. :)

Back