Live sound question...

harphunt

I don't post much, but read a lot. Now I have a question. Hope I can get some knowledge here.

I own a xenyx 2442fx mixing board http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/2442FX.aspx

It does not have mono out and I'd like to run in mono so the on-board effects don't ping pong between the left and right mains.

Here are two responses from Behringer that contradict each other a bit:

1. Are either of the main outs able to be mono? With some equipment, the left jack is mono. I don't like the delay effect ping-ponging left to right. Thank you in advance.

response

You can use either the left or right output as a mono signal. Just make sure all of the PAN knobs on each channel are straight up so none of the channels are panned left or right. As far as the FX, you might want to try one of the other delay FX presets that don't bounce from left to right. Presets 50 - 59 are all delay type presets. 88 - 99 are delay combination FX.

2. I do not want to run my xenyx 2442fx in stereo. There is no mono out.

Is there any reason why I can't run stereo main out into a "Y" adaptor to 1/4 inch mono, and into my power amp for parallel use?

response

Is there any reason why I can't run stereo main out into a "Y" adaptor to 1/4 inch mono, and into my power amp for parallel use?

Yes there is a good reason not to do this...Phase Cancalation..you will lose sound and sound quality.

Use the Left main output with all panning to the Left, let me know if you have any other questions.

Sorry to kill you all with too much information, but my ignorance makes me do it. Any thoughts or solutions would be welcome.

peace

How about just use one side, say the left, into a splitter Y and use that to feed the power amp? You'd have to find an delay that would work wit just the one side tho...

Also I'd try your other idea (summing the 2 channels together) and see what it sounds like - how many times has somebody said you can't do something and it ended up being ok.

Going back to a classic book by Craig Anderton, when you split a signal you can just make a Y, but when you do it in reverse, sum two wires into one, you're supposed to put 4.7k Ω resistors in line with the + wires.

You know when you're in the shower and someone turns on the washing machine? It's to prevent that power rob.

But again, real life will show you, and I'd try it with a Y and see if it sounds ok.

If the line outs are bridgeable a Y conector will work fine, if not you may run into some phasing issues. Check the manual and see if the outs can be bridged. Also check youe efx bank to see if there is a mono delay, if it has a mono delay use it. This should send the same delay to both sides without having the ping pong effect.

Run the board into an amp that can be set to bridge mono. Let the amp convert the stereo signal to mono for you. Don't most amps do this? I think every amp I ever owned did this..

Do not connect the left and right outputs with a Y lead to get mono, the left and right preamps will be fighting each other and the will be a loss of quality and some phase cancellation from the effects units.

I made up a stereo to mono, 2 inputs to 1 output box, just for this function, which uses some resisters, but I can't find the circuit diagram at the moment.

Cheers

Alan

Back