Live Sound question ... not sure where this should go (sorry)

BigKahuna

Hi guys ...
"Other Equipment" seems like a good match ;)

I'm looking for ideas for a fairly decent live PA set up ...
really just for practice/jamming and for running vocals and maybe keyboards through ... although, no drums.
Only need 3-4 mic inputs max. Not a whole lot of power needed, but as always you'd rather have too much than not enough, right? :)
Budget range is $1000 - $2500 (of course, leaning more toward $1k, but don't want to limit any choices ... the old "extra $200 will get you a cooler..." is welcomed). I'd like to avoid any "package" deals, as you usually wind up compromising here and there with that stuff (if I'm wrong there, please tell me).
This PA is not really for me, but for the mom of a past client of mine (16 yr old kid) ... she's giving it to him for his b-day (nice!). I don't do much PA stuff, so I need some help here. She just wants some ideas for some set ups and knows nothing about any electronics.
I'd appreciate any advice you may have!
Thanks much!

sorry ... I had this typed up in Word and was gona paste it in here but forgot ... bare-bones, but I've used that Mackie and think it's pretty good for a small mixer... anyway
notice my choices for speakers and amps ... this is what prompted my question to you all...
Feel free to change any of my choices, because it should be clear by now that I know NOTHING! :)
Thanks!

Mixer: Mackie 1202-VLZ ~ $380
Speakers: ?no idea?
Amp: ?no idea?
Mics: 2-Shure SM58 ~$200
Comp/gate: DBX 266XL dual comp/gate ~$170
FX: Lexicon MPX100 ~$170

My personal choice (and what I use) is Mackie power amps and JBL speakers. I have roasted 4 seperate power amps at different shows, but since I have bought only Mackies, I haven't hurt one a bit. Check out the Yorkville stuff, too. I rented some of their stuff last year, and it was great. Very affordable too. Seems to be getting lots of good reviews. My next 2 speakers will be a couple new stage monitors, and they will be Yorkville.

H2H

Oh, and it would be nice to add in a cheap graphic EQ. Really helps for controlling feedback and getting the most out of the speakers. ART and Alesis both make cheap ones that I have used. (Although the Alesis ME-Q only lasted about 1.5 years)

I bought a Mackie CFX 12 mixer, and it delivers the goods pretty well. I use it with "patch as patch can" PA systems, as well as with a basic and ancient Peavey PA a friend of mine has, and it really lets you control what you sound like. Only drawback is that it isn't quite as quiet as a recording console - but it's made for gigging. You may find the 1202 is quieter.

Try out this with a pair of powered speakers - you might find used JBL Eons out there. Onboard effects and a graphic EQ at the business end make the CFX pretty versatile.

http://www.mackie.com/Products/CFX_Series.asp

I'd spring for a pair of decent speaker stands as well. You might get out of it for about $1200 - 1400. You would have a killer sound, though.

BUT IF HE'S A REALLY GOOD KID:

Get 2 of these and make a matched system that will blow the doors off anything else out there.

http://www.mackie.com/Products/Active/SRM450/SRM450.asp

Back