Live room/drum room coming together (slowly)

mdainsd

Yeah I know that there is a forum for showing your studio creations, but Im here mostly for the analog only forum, so I decided to share my pics with the regulars of said forum. If a mod decides to move this thread, so be it.Forgive the pics, they are phone pics. The lighting hasnt been addressed just yet but the infrastructure for them has...

First up: a look at some of the absorbers, in this case those behind the kit. The room is 11' X 14' and the drums are backed to a short wall.

IMAG0119.jpg

Around the walls are 18 of these panels, each 4" thick and made with 9lb/cubic foot mineral wool. I built plugs for the windows that had two layers of sound absorbing drywall, two layers of "sound board", all sandwiching r19 fiberglass insulation. The the seams were foam filled, caulked and mudded over. Finally texture and paint.

IMAG0116.jpg

In the previous shot and the following you can see the clouds. there are ten of them and they alternate between 2" thick and 4" thick. Down the center is a truss. Its purpose is threefold (so far). The room lighting will be mounted to the truss as will small individual fans. Also the mike booms for drum overheads and vocals hang from the truss removing clutter from the floor. Less tripping hazards too.

IMAG0117.jpg

And another view, lengthwise down the room. I tested the truss with a friend and myself hanging from it for a combined test weight of greater than 400 pounds. i think it will hold a few lights and mics....

IMAG0118.jpg

Its working well for a drum room already. My death metal instructor can go off on my kit and outside if you are more than 15 or 20 feet from the house you cant hear a thing. Nearest neighbor 200 feet or so...so I can play all night now if I like!

But more to do before recording drums, in particular corner traps and treatments. The panels are all easily moveable for some tuning, but I need to get down to the brass tacks of it...

No, it isnt. But the absorbers are readily re-configurable/removeable. When fully populater its more of the "conciderate neighbor" practice room. Im going to start doing initial mic setups and experimentation this weekend. Im sure its going to take a while to get it close, and then a while longer to get it right...

Back