live recording

drumshow

My band has a gig this Saturday and I want to do a live recording a demo. I have a Tascam 424 MK3. There are two vocalists, bass, 2 guitars, and drums. My machine obviouly doesnt have enough tracks to get it all. I was thinking about placing two condenser mics up and mixing down onto my stereo tape deck.
Should I try and use more than just two mics? and try and mix them down.
Or should I go through the trouble of going from the mixing board and down to four tracks and then to the stereo? The problem with that is that My tapes are only 30 minutes long. So it would have to be a direct mixdown and I wouldnt be able to mess with the knobs because Im on stage.

Please all input would be greatly appreciated

Our style is funky-blues, southern rock.
We have many extreem dynamic changes. And like to get the audience involved as much as possible.(It is a fun show)

You didn't mention which mixing board you plan to use or what mics but it would make the most sense to me if you're tracking to the 424 to squeeze all you can out of the TASCAM by recording to the full width of the tape. Don't bother "messing with the knobs" as you say, while you're in the middle of a tune. Set your levels in advance, hit record and let it run. Spend a few minutes beforehand listening to the mix while you adjust mic position.
Bring lots of tape.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drstawl:
You didn't mention which mixing board you plan to use or what mics but it would make the most sense to me if you're tracking to the 424 to squeeze all you can out of the TASCAM by recording to the full width of the tape. Don't bother "messing with the knobs" as you say, while you're in the middle of a tune. Set your levels in advance, hit record and let it run. Spend a few minutes beforehand listening to the mix while you adjust mic position.
Bring lots of tape.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well first of all I dont want to spend my whole paycheck on tapes. Second I would rather concentrate on drums and put on a good show rather so I am trying to not play around with machines.
As far as the mixing board, Its an old 16 channell yamaha. The vocalists use shure. The bass and guitars Im sure have line outs. As far as me on drums I have a shure Beta 57A(snare), an SM57(kick), and two Peavey PVM480's (overheads).
Also How can I be sure that the mixdown is done correctly, from the board, if I can hear it all. I cant be a drummer and an engineer at the same time...

I know this ain't easy. Recording Engineer has griped numerous times about the impossibility of being the drummer and the engineer; all the while getting some great results. So don't be afraid to try.
My main point was to use the whole tape.
Why waste half the tape width by recording nothing on it? Sure- the 424 is no ADAT.
Don't dwell on its shortfalls. Just use it.
Unknown quote:
"I pitied the man who had no shoes until I met the man who had no feet."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drstawl:
I know this ain't easy. Recording Engineer has griped numerous times about the impossibility of being the drummer and the engineer; all the while getting some great results. So don't be afraid to try.
My main point was to use the whole tape.
Why waste half the tape width by recording nothing on it? Sure- the 424 is no ADAT.
Don't dwell on its shortfalls. Just use it.
Unknown quote:
"I pitied the man who had no shoes until I met the man who had no feet."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking about just using the 424 as a mixing board to my tapedeck. Not to just record on two tracks. Im trying to save my thirty minute tapes.
Maybe I will try and mix down though and go into my tape deck at he same time. Thanks for the inspiration...

Well- this is getting easier as you get more specific. Which tape deck is the better tracker? The TASCAM gets a boost from the double speed and the double width, but that only goes so far when compared to a really tasty two track cassette machine like a $1K Nakamichi. Most of all, just have fun and keep your ears working. The experience is guaranteed to be educational.

Back