live recording

i've been asked to do a recording of a live show for a jazz quartet. and i'm not quite sure if i have all the required equipments.

i have a laptop running on 1gb of ram
i have cubase sx1
and a tascam fw1884 for a mixer

so when my question regarding recording

how do i go about it

It sounds like you've got plenty of equipment, do you have enough mics? When I last recorded a small jazz group, I used 2 overheads and a kick and snare mic on the drums. SM57 on the guitar cabinet, Beta 57 on the Trumpet, and did the Bass Direct.

It was also a live show as well, and I was having to run sound for them and record at the same time, Not as much fun, but oh well, you do what you gotta do. I imagine that situation would be easier with the 1884 though, as it has a control surface built in so running the sound part of it would be easier. Hope that answers your question, you were a little vague on what you needed, so let me know if you need something else.

i don't have enough mics

i'm vague cuz i dont know how to do this recording, don't get me wrong i know it's doable
i don't know what my mixer can do as far as connecting to their PA , my plan was to connect my mixer to theirs for the keyboard, vocals and catch the guitar and bass via the cabinets. but you seem to suggest that i run the sound through the Fw 1884 (that will be easier)

but anyway any suggestions you have will be appreciated
thanks

Does than band have their own PA setup? If so, depending on the mixer you can take a feed off their mixer. BUT. That can be very bad if the signal is not pre gain. It needs to be a split signal. Some of the better mixers have this. Like Crest, they have a built in pre gain split where you can take the incoming signal from each chanel ,and it splits it so one half of the signal goes to the mixer, the other half goes to(in your case) your mixer. This way you have nice clean signal that is not affected by whomever is running the board. This eliminates their processing, clipping channels etc. The other choice is the use of splitter boxes that slpit the lo imp signal off to two. The mic plugs into the splitter box ,then it has 2 outputs(lo Z), 1 to their mixer and 1 to you! A splitter snake is next choice but that gets costly and trust me ,heavey to toat around.

To help you further, we need more info. Like:

-What exactly is the instrumentation of the group.
-What mics do you have, What do they have?
-What equipment (mixers, etc...) do they have

I would think that you would be able to run all of the channels into your 1884 and then mix using the onboard DSP and run out for the main mix, but you might be limited if they need a couple of monitor mixes. Let us know for sure what you got.

thanks i'm getting some info on their equipment

as far as instrument there is a keypboard a guitar and a drum and occasionaly some kind of wind instrument

i'm really not familiar with a live setting i'd like to think that it somewhat similar to what i do in my home setup but since i never been behind a mixing board at a live show i don't want to mislead myself all this to say:could you explain what you mean by monitor mixes

thanks

Back