live recording setup with 2 drummers, guitar, bass...

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
and maybe mandolin and or keys. :D

I've got this experimental group going on, jazz/ noise/ rock impov kinda thing, can't really describe it. Usually the instrumentation is Drums, percussion, (congas) guitar, bass. The drummers switch up a lot, and I'm thinking toward getting a second kit down in the rehersal space. The drummers are dynamically way different players so it's really hard to get a mic setup and levels appropriate for both. Plus it would be cool to have 2 kits going at times. I record all this live to ADAT, sometimes just straight to 2 track casette, mostly just to document the ideas boucing around the room, but I want it to sound great nonetheless.

On the 1 kit right now i have MXL 603's for the overheads (xy pattern) and a ATM25 on the kick. bass is direct, guitar miced with a 57, and the congas either a 57 or an ECM8000. When i tried the omni there it did double duty as a room mic and for the congas, but I'm not sold on how i like it in the mix. When I got the ECM i just got 1 instead of a pair cuz i was skeptical (still am but will probably pick up a second soon)

So, the question, when I get the second kit in there what are my best options? here's the mic cabinet.

3x Sm57
2x MXL 603s
1 GT/Alesis AM-11
1 Rode Nt-1
1 Behringer ecm8000
1 Beta 52
1 ATM25
1 ATM 41-HE (hypercardiod dynamic i use for my live vocals, it rox!)

I'm thinking trying the omni as the 2nd overhead and putting one of the LD condensors in front of the kit, Or possably the AM-11 as the overhead and a mic in the kick.

Or would it be better to put up the 603's as room mics and go from there and add close mics as needed? The room sounds pretty good. hmm.. lots of options.

One word.....

Plexiglas.

Buy, rent, borrow, beg, or even steal two plexi surrounds for the drummers. It will not eliminate the bleed into other mics, but it will improve it. This is the best investment you could get for one drummer, much less two.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back