LIVE recording of The Escape Artist performing Ants Marching and Long Train Running..

Richard King

A "medley" sort of....

This was recorded LIVE at the Riverside Cafe in Vero Beach, Fl. on Feb 19, 2011. I recorded the whole evening (3 sets) and am still playing with some of the mixes on the better songs. They return to the club tomorrow evening for another performance. Feel free to comment. A good time was had by all.

http://soundcloud.com/richard-king/slow-train-runing5

Last edited:
It's a lot to ask - 8 Minutes + when most guys here have serious ADD. Listening as I type....Immediately realized we''re listening to some great musicians.
Nice reverb on the mix really has a nice bounce to it. I'm not sure about the right sided drums and left panned guitar. Violin is good - nice tone but could be a little louder - too far from the mic? The vocalist has great voice....

Absolutely loved the Doobie Brothers song. That was awesome. They both sounded pretty good though. Great musicians there.

Damn good band! Like to hear more subs in a live recording. Panning is kinda strange. Perspective of side bartender? :)

I tend to pan as they are set up on the stage, with a bit wider pan on the drums than the other instruments. That puts the snare off center on the right and everything else pretty much where it was. With these guys the guitar was on the left of the stage and the violin slightly right of center.

I just walked in the door from seeing the band again this evening. They play the same club once a month. Tomorrow I am meeting with the band to go over the recordings for the first time with them. They've heard what I posted at soundcloud, but not through decent speakers. Tomorrow they get to hear them through my JBL 4328's and 4430's. The band is quite amazing live which is why I wanted to record them.

132669885.jpg

Band sounds real tight, agree with other post about drum panning...nice bass guitar tone...cool..

Updated the mix. I think I went a bit heavy on the bass and may back that off a bit, but take a listen if you have another 8 minutes. ;) The panning is pretty much the same.

The quality of the record is fine. The panning IS a little wierd, but not distractly so. I've heard tons worse. I don't like the snare tone, but thats just me. And I know it's the 'modern' way, but the mix has too little breathing room. It's like everything is the same volume - except the high hat, which is way far back. I know, I'm being an old fart, but not everything has to be in the front of the mix.

Back