Live recording - I nailed it this time. :)

Chibi Nappa

In my travels as a soundman I run into some great acts. A band named IKE was kind enough to let me record them and I think I nailed it. It was a 16 track recording, but this time I almost ditched digital reverb entirely ('verb added to vocals only) in favor of really cranking the "audience" mic up in the recording. The room had a great 'verb on its own.

Anyway, with a band like IKE there wasn't really much I could do to screw it up. They're quite professional and pretty much mixed themselves.

Enjoy the song and let me know what you think.

"Welcome Home"

Man, that's a nice job. I'm on cans, but I think your assessment of "nailing" it would be spot on.

The band is kinda' like Elvis Costello meets Train. Very enjoyable listen. Did you give the band a copy? You should. Do you remember what kind of monitors the lead singer was using? (wedges or in ears). If his vocals are that good with wedges in a smallish club, I'm afraid of what he could do in a studio, lol. Talented bunch, and that includes the guy on the board. :D

chrisharris said:
Do you remember what kind of monitors the lead singer was using? (wedges or in ears). If his vocals are that good with wedges in a smallish club, I'm afraid of what he could do in a studio, lol.
They were in fact stage wedges. John Faye has just been doing this for so long that he always turns in a great performance. And yeah, he's great in the studio too. Their second album should be out this spring...

Anyway, I'm glad you guys liked the recording/song. I always find I have fun with live recordings. You get a certain energy... I learn alot with the limitations imposed as well. Fun stuff.

And as a heads up, the old recording was taken down, but the new link is located at http://www.fluffypotato.com/music along with the rest of the set if anybody wants to give it a listen.

Holy Crap !!

I am listening to this and I thinking I know that voice....John Faye.
I saw this guy open for Mathew Sweet some time ago. Really good.
I never knew what happened to him. Now I know. I have some cd of his that I must dig out right now.

Thank you for posting this

jman said:
I am listening to this and I thinking I know that voice....John Faye.
I saw this guy open for Mathew Sweet some time ago. Really good.
I never knew what happened to him. Now I know. I have some cd of his that I must dig out right now.

Thank you for posting this
Let me tell you...I met John Faye because the band I run sound for has the same manager. I've never met a more charismatic and talented writer/singer. The guy's a million laughs. I always look forward to a gig with IKE (john's band).

Back