Live recording help

jman

The set up:
two guitars
keys
bass
drums
4 vocals

We have a powered mixer that we only run vocals thru mains and monitors.
The sound is balanced and sufficient where we play but the club wants to run our music throughout.

Question:
Since we don't run everything thru the powered mixer (and don't want to)would I need a separate mixer to mic drums/guitar/bass etc and run that line to the club's sound system?

If you're just running to another live mixer for the club's supplimental PA system seperate from your system, and you're not actually recording, you could probably get away with just a stereo pair to cover the stage and your PA mains and run that pair to the house mixer.

As an aside that's kinda related, the keyboardist for one of the bands that I work has been experimenting with some very basic guerrila recording techniques, and has been getting some suprising results. On his latest foray a couple of weeks ago he hung a portable stereo digital stick recorder in a little fishnet sock from the upright of the mic stand of the lead singer. That's it. The resulting recording was suprisingly good; not as good as a quality multitrack recording with heavy post work, but noticably better than many of the amateurish live multitrack recordings I have heard. This technique varied in quality in subsequent gigs depending upon the quality of the stage, but if the stage sounds good at the apex of the stage, the technique is actually suprisingly good.

I bring that up here only to address the question of "how good can stereo miking the stage really sound?" The answer is it can sound a lot better than one might think at first blush, and certainly within the realm of acceptable for sending a stereo feed to the club's auxilliry PA.

G.

Back