Live/recording dynamic mic help

CDT-sHaG

Hi Guys,

I'm really sick of only having an sm58..it's too muddy for me when singing close and I use a wide dynamic range in my singing..when I perform I pull on and off of the mic to keep the level even, but the proxmity of the 58 just adds mud when I'm in close on some softer sections..

I really need help picking out a good stage mic that I can also do demo recordings with..something crisp and more natural sounding..

I have looked at a couple in my price range ($100-$200).

One is the AE4100 by audio technica and the other is the OM5 from audix. I had a chance to demo the AE4100 but I would have to drive 2 hours to guitar center to demo the OM5. is it worth my time? I definetly liked the 4100 better than my 58 but I don't think it's the 100% best match for my voice..

here are some links to the 2 FYI:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--AUTAE4100

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--AUDOM5PAK

also, maybe this will help..

here are a couple of quick recordings I did with my 58 , they're different enough and sort of give the idea of my range.

these are definelty not recordings up to any standards, they were done quickly to have my band mate's learn from:

short tune for lower bandwidth:

lower verses and higher chours:

another:

I have been playing and singing for a while now and have pretty good mic technique. but this is based on using 58's forever..

If I came to your studio or you ran sound for me, what mic would you choose?

Thanks,

Chris

You might also try the EV ND series. They are decent live dynamics. An obvious step up would be a Senn 421.

You might also consider the preamp you are using. With dynamics that can often be the reason for a muddy tone.

I'd check out the Audix OM-2 also if you want a brighter sound with less mids. Around $100.

TexRoadkill said:
You might also try the EV ND series. They are decent live dynamics. An obvious step up would be a Senn 421.

You might also consider the preamp you are using. With dynamics that can often be the reason for a muddy tone.

a friend of mine has 3 of these and has offered to let me borrow one..

I've also been told about the sennheiser E835..

thanks..

BTW, has anyone used the AT AE4100? if so i wonder how it compares to these others (since I have that point of reference)..hopefully I can get to GC ithis weekend..

Back