Live Recording Advice

jho1986

Hello everyone,

I am about ready, or so I think, to start a live recording business. I'm basically happy with my equipment and now I'm looking for advice before I start setting up gigs.

I've got 12 inputs (audiofire 12 into a macbook pro), 10 pres, 2 mic splitters, a DI, and plenty of mics. I've also got a nifty rack setup with everything racked and patchable on the front including the mics. Also, I've narrowed all of my equipment down so that everything I will be bringing can be brought into the venue in one trip by two people. I have experience as a live sound engineer, in the studio, and playing in bands. I will be recording at the venue and monitoring with sound isolation headphones as best I can, but doing the final mix at home.

Now that you've got a basic idea of my setup, my question is... What do you wish you knew before you started recording live? This could include advice about dealing with bands, venues, drunk people, security, pay rates, recording techniques, sound guys, or anything else you can think of.

Thanks to all who comment...

One thing I learned about recording a live performance is: there are no second takes! Make sure you record the songs at more than one show.

I had my Midas Venice 320 modified so the direct outs were post-gain, post insert, pre-EQ and pre-fader. I recorded to an Alesis HD24. Mixed in the box with N Tracks, edited in Sound Forge, and 'mastered' with Ozone.

You can get some incredible stuff out of a live recording. There's an energy you can't match in a studio.
Don't worry about mic-ing the crowd, unless you're after that 'room' sound.

I'd be glad to share some examples. PM me if interested.

I agree about the energy of live performances. That's why I love recording live shows. But if you have enough inputs, I would put up at least one mic for the crowd. They give it the energy (or lack of).

Also, I think your first limitation will probably be only 10 channels. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but you'll have to be conservative about how you mic your instruments...especially drums. They have the possibility to eat up a lot of channels.

Also, you didn't mention cables and stands. Do you have those?

Other than that, everything should be fine. Have fun!!:D

I've learned that your low-budget local soundmen tend to use cheap/trashy mics and they know little about placement. If you must use their mics, hard EQing is often needed.

Older nightclubs tend to have ground loop problems.

Many clubs have "the worst" acoustics.

Drums are usually old dead heads, over muffled, poorly tuned, and hit too hard.

Basses and/or overall stage volume are usually too loud.

Amps are usually pointed toward vocal mics.

Pedals usually buzz between songs.

Vocalists tend to go flat due to poor monitors.

And mistakes abound as the alcohol flows.

But other than that, you shouldn't have any problems. :D

Don't worry about mic-ing the crowd, unless you're after that 'room' sound.

Couldn't disagree more. I would never make a live recording without a room mic. Not so much for the crowd cheering, but for the music. Reverb effects just can't compete with a room mic.

Back