Live Monitoring while Recording?

Bradley Tanogna

I'm using an Omni preamp, to a delta-66, to Sonar 4, and I'm having trouble monitoring live recordings. I have set the patchbay/router in the M-audio control panel to "monitor mixer" as opposed to "wav out." Then I set the input on the audio track in Cakewalk to "monitor mixer." This lets me monitor live recordings; HOWEVER, I cannot figure out a way to hear playback from Cakewalk while monitoring the live recording.

Question: How can I monitor a live recording (w/ no latency) while still being able to hear playblack of previously recorded tracks?

ie. How can I have my cake(walk) and eat it too?

monitor from the wav out, and select "input echo" on the sonar track you are recording. set the latency settings as low as possible... i am not sure of your computer setup, but you will most likely not even be able to run the audio without a dropout. now, keep raising the latency until you no longer get these dropouts and glitches while you record. if you can work with this latency without it being annoying, then you're good... if not, you need more cpu and memory, upgrade until your heart is content. personally, i like simply monitoring the soundcard input, keeps me from cheating with effects and such while tracking.

You could also split the signal from the pre to a PA amp/mixer.

IMO, the latency issues make using the method described in the previous post totally unacceptable. My 'puter ain't great, though

Go into pre to delta, Delta to monitors. Make sure Calkwalk is set to input where you have the pre in on the delta. Have the output in Calkwalk set to the output on the delta (where the speaks are hooked up). Make sure the delta is set to where the input of the pre is.

I have latency set to 20.0 msec. Buffer size 2. I have a crappy Turtle beach and I don't get any drop outs. 16bit/48kHz. SO the delta should work a bit better I would think.

L8er,
livilaNic

KevinDrummer said:
You could also split the signal from the pre to a PA amp/mixer.

IMO, the latency issues make using the method described in the previous post totally unacceptable. My 'puter ain't great, though

even with my computer, which i consider decent, the latency borders on unacceptable. that's why i monitor direct from the inputs on my interface, instead of after processing. i don't know if his allows this, but i would imagine it does.

minofifa said:
ouch, that's borderline unusable. i think the best thing to do is prbably monitor from the soundcad inputs as suggested.

It's really not that bad. It's barely noticible. It is borderline though lol.

With your Delta/Omni you can do hardware monitoring, and avoid the latency issues with software monitoring.

Set all your tracks to output to Wav 1/2 on the Delta. In the Delta control panel, send Wav 1/2 OUT to the Monitor mixer. Go into the monitor mixer and mix to taste - make sure you scroll to the right and unmute the input(s) you are recording from.

Then the monitor outs on the Omni will get the Wav 1/2 OUT (the music you already recorded) as well as the inputs you are recording now, mixed in hardware by the Omni.

livilaNic said:
It's really not that bad. It's barely noticible. It is borderline though lol.
Yes it is for monitoring. And trust me, it's highly noticeably.

Did you figure out how to do this yet? I'm using adobe audition and acid pro but i have not been able to figure out how to monitor an input while recording either.. any help would be great.
thanks
tey

Bradley Tanogna said:
I'm using an Omni preamp, to a delta-66, to Sonar 4, and I'm having trouble monitoring live recordings. I have set the patchbay/router in the M-audio control panel to "monitor mixer" as opposed to "wav out." Then I set the input on the audio track in Cakewalk to "monitor mixer." This lets me monitor live recordings; HOWEVER, I cannot figure out a way to hear playback from Cakewalk while monitoring the live recording.

Question: How can I monitor a live recording (w/ no latency) while still being able to hear playblack of previously recorded tracks?

ie. How can I have my cake(walk) and eat it too?

Newbie here with a similar question - I have Cakewalk 9.0, but I am using the standard cheapo soundcard that came with my new Dell.
I have keyboard plugged into the soundcard's input, and can record from it - no problem there - but cannot hear the track I'm recording in headphones or speaker at same time as the already-recorded track(s). I've searched the Help index, and clicked every menu option to no avail - what am I missing? Is it on a different view/screen?

That's what I feared, but when I used the free recording software Audacity I WAS able to hear my live track, albeit with ridiculous latency.
The computer is 3Gb, 512M RAM, 160G HD, so should be able to handle recording with minimum latency with a good soundcard, right?

You should be able to monitor your input while hearing the recorded tracks..........I used to do it through Audition/Cool Edit through my onboard sound. You will have to change some stuff in the windows mixer. I don't have my onboard sound enabled anymore so I can't really explain how to do it. Arm a track, double click in the level meter and you should see "recording" above the level meter.

heroics321 said:
even with my computer, which i consider decent, the latency borders on unacceptable. that's why i monitor direct from the inputs on my interface, instead of after processing. i don't know if his allows this, but i would imagine it does.

I have to agree...a monitoring system is the only way to fly. No delays, no drop outs (if you're prone to them), completely hassle free.

Back