Live Mix

clong89

Ok, we are going to perform for a company Christmas party. The plan is to use a pair of condensers for overheads, a snare mic, and a kick mic for drums. A performance mic for vocal and the instruments (guitar and bass) direct or mic'ed from the amps. So, that's 7 inputs all going to a Yamaha mixer. We are then outputting that to a power amp for two PA speakers. Will this be good enough for an outdoor performance? This is kind of our first gig where we have to provide live sound. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
Clong

You seem to have your mixing needs covered. You haven't given any information to go on as far as having enough system for an outside gig.

And I take it that you have monitors? That may be where you run into problems if you don't have an EQ on them. You should have one on the house speakers as well to get rid of annoying frequencies.
Just be sure to have those speakers up high over everyone's head so that it will carry and that the horns aren't making the first few row's ears bleed when they tell you that no one can hear in the back.

:cool:

Monitors - potentially a world of feedback pain if you try to play at any reasonable volume and have to position PA speakers back far enough so you can hear what you're playing...

And have you all routinely, as a band, practiced playing through your PA or will this be your first time?

Who's controlling the sound whilst you're playing? EQing can be critical. I hear moresound's pretty good at this live sound stuff and at only $10K a gig, he covers his own flight expenses... :laughings:

Best of luck... I would never play an office Christmas party! Very brave of you... :drunk:

Back