live mic question

CDT-sHaG

hey guys..

i'm getting ready to do some solo acoustic gigs and i'd like to mic my guitar in addition to the PU signal..

here's a photo of what i'm after:

http://www.danny.schmidt.net/Gallery Page One-Pages/Image7.html

what kind of mic will work the best?

looks like a dynamic in the photo but i'm not sure..i've never mic'd an acoustic guitar live before..just in recording (AT 3035 and MXL V67m)..BTW, i have a pair of 603's on the way from 8thstreet...these will be primarily for drum overheads..but maybe one of them would work? i'm thinking "feedback city" with the floor wedges though..maybe not?

thanks..

If your acoustic guitar is an electric/acoustic, you'll probably have way more feedback problems with the PU plugged into a guitar amp than you will with a mic connected to the PA.

One of your new 603's should sound great on your acoustic, since it's a unidirectional small diaphragm condenser.

i run my guitar into a preamp, send the di and 1/4" outs to the PA and to a jbl power15..no feedback problems at all on the PU end..

problem is, 8thstreet was on backorder and i'm stil waiting for my 603's..(well over a week now..)..so i can't test them..

think it will be fine live? i just wonder what people generally do..

thanks..

the mic in the picture appears to be an AKG C535. your 603's would work great. just be carefull about putting the mic in the monitor, but if you have a graphic Eq on the monitor it wouldnt be a problem at all: if it starts to feedback, just pull the offending frequency out a little.

Back