Live mic applications.

bair_ohio

Hey..im going to be running sound at a local place this evening for a country/bluegrass type thing. My question is this.

What is a good method for mic'ing stand up bass? Would anyone here recommend using maybe a pencil mic(condenser) or should I just stick with the 57/58 type mic's?

All the guitars usually just go direct. I did mic with a 57knockoff(bars mics) but the bass was boomy and the high end notes just dissapeared.

thx

bair_ohio said:
Hey..im going to be running sound at a local place this evening for a country/bluegrass type thing. My question is this.

What is a good method for mic'ing stand up bass? Would anyone here recommend using maybe a pencil mic(condenser) or should I just stick with the 57/58 type mic's?

All the guitars usually just go direct. I did mic with a 57knockoff(bars mics) but the bass was boomy and the high end notes just dissapeared.

thx

I wouldn't ever use a SDC at a club unless you plan on frequently replacing them.
Direct guitars? Acoustic I assume?

Try putting an sm58 in a sock and stuffing it under the bridge. Sounds weird, but for live use it works better than you might think:)

xstatic said:
Try putting an sm58 in a sock and stuffing it under the bridge. Sounds weird, but for live use it works better than you might think:)

Hahah..that probably would work nicely..hmmm...I'll try it out tonight and report on it tommorow.

thx for the help

There are a variety of ways of miking a bass, and others will no dount offer their solutions. However, having once attempted to use a condensor on bass, I would no longer attempt it; it tends to pick up too much of everything else.

I have very successfully used a kickdrum mike.

Back