Live acoustic tone in different scenarios.

demensia

www.lukemacneil.com
I've been trying to articulate this question to other players for some time, and always fallen short.
I'm working on my signal chain to try and get the acoustic guitar tone that I want for live performances.

I bring the following things on stage:

Martin GPCPA3 with Fishman F1 Aura electronics
Taylor GC3 with a K&K Mini pickup
Acoustic Image Coda III combo amp
Boss Tuner Pedal
K&K Pure XLR preamp.

I am a solo singer songwriter, and play small venues, coffee shops and the like and I always struggle with sounding the way I want to sound.
I think some of my problems stem from the fact that I play both fingerstyle (using the meat of the fingers, no nail) and with a pick... and I use many low tunings throughout the night... Standard/drop d/dadgag/open f, open g with a drop c, capo tricks... etc.

I'm going for a tone similar to what Peter Mulvey sounds like live. It's very bass heavy ( I know he boosts 80 with a boss eq pedal )
Peter Mulvey performs Dynamite Bill - YouTube

If I dial in the tone for any one song, that's all fine and good until the next song, where my needs are totally different.
In a standard tuning with a pick I would bump 80hz and roll 100, cut the mids a bit and boost the highs... once I tune down to drop c and play with my fingers, that becomes a horrible proposition.

Does anyone else do something similar, and is there a way you've found to compromise on a normalized tone throughout?

Get a programmable EQ pedal with a number of memory positions so you can change as needed. You may need to go with a pedal that does other stuff, too (boost/distortion/chorus) like a POD.

Like mjb said... any multi-effect electric guitar unit will give you that option... you don't have to use all the other stuff, but it's there if you want to. I play acoustic live in a duo and use a Boss GT-10 and about a gazillion different patches... hard part is getting your basic sound right.

You can then use a master EQ setting on your amp/PA etc. to compensate for the room, if needed.

There is acoustic guitar multi effects pedals out there as well, you might wanna check one of those out!

Back