Listen while recording? MIA

INTP

I have a new MIA Midi installed and it works great for playback, and recording, but I'd really like to monitor the MIA output while recording the input. I've tried a couple programs (CoolEditPro and Sonar 2.2 Demo) and re-read the manual, but still cannot find what I'm missing. Recording and playback work great, but not at the same time.

My hunch is that I'll need to monitor to the source before it goes into the card. I have a cheap mixer (Boss MX-10) that will do that, but i don't really want to add anything of that quality to the signal.

Is there something I'm missing here?

I'm having fun, though. I've recorded from some old (live to 2-track) cassette tape recordings, and have been experimenting with removing hiss, eq-ing, and normalizing them before burning them to CD. Good stuff.

Thanks for a great site!

Get yourself a little mixer, run the main outs to the card, and run the outs from the card into the 2-track/control room in's on the mixer, then make sure you have the "2 track to control room" button on, and the "2 track to mix button off".

That's how I run it on CEP2, and it works great. I love the Mia.

Sounds like you have some preference setting in your sequencer program wrong...

I use a Mia with N-Track Studio, Fruityloops and Soundforge and can record/playback with no problem.

How do you monitor??? I have the line-out going directly to my monitors (not back through a mixer). What are you using for recording: ASIO, WDM, MME???

Thanks for the feedback.

nTrack says there's a problem with the hardware, so I'm going to try removing and re-installing nTrack to see if that fixes anything.

I'm using my small mixer (Boss MX-10) to monitor the output from MIA, either through it's built in headphone jack, or to my cheap computer speakers. I'm recording directly from my tape deck to the MIA inputs (WDM) via a rca-to-1/4" cable.

I'll play with the setting some more, but I may have to drag out my (gasp!) Samson mixer until I get something better.

Peace.

Update:

I installed some windows updates and I am now able to listen on the MIA outputs while recording on the MIA inputs without having to use a seaprate mixer. Some of the updates were general, but it turns out that one of them was for the VIA audio.

Peace.

Back