Listen UP, Listen to this

Hangdawg, dude you are missing out. It's a free country though, so I can't force you into anything.

RockerBob, thanks for the listen. Do you think the recording is a bit dull because it need something more music wise, or because it seems like it is missing something in the high's.

So anyways, my buddy who I record with, he got married earlier this year. Since he got married, he sold his Gibson guitar, sold his Marshall half stack. Now he plays this crappy les paul copy he bought on ebay for 50 bucks that was made in the 70's. and on this amp he found in his grandma's attick. It makes me sick, we used to get some sweet tones, now it's just mush. well that's my rant.

Ok, I listened. I thought that the lo-fi sound on the guitar was used as an effect for the intro. Well, I was wrong on that.

I can't give you specifics on what is wrong but there is a lot wrong.

Everything but vocals sound very distant

Guitars are very thin sounding with generally bad tone all the way around.

Is there a bass guitar track? I think there is. Pretty muddy. No definition there either.

Snare sounds like a soup can.

Kick sounds like a cardboard box.

Toms, ehhhhh

Vocals are about the best thing. They would be really good if the rest of the song was tracked better.

Not trying to bust yer balls here, it just isn't recorded very well.

Hangdawg, thanks for the listen and the critique. I agree with you for the most part, but I think its listenable. I know it's not studio quality, but for where I recorded it and with the crappy gear I have, and the fact that I have like no engineering skills. I thought it was good enough. I'll keep trying to get better though. What kind of speakers did you listen to it on? I have the problem of things sounding sweet on my monitors, and then sounding dull on regular speakers.

Prizmaxic said:
Hangdawg, dude you are missing out. It's a free country though, so I can't force you into anything.

RockerBob, thanks for the listen. Do you think the recording is a bit dull because it need something more music wise, or because it seems like it is missing something in the high's.

I think it was mostly the mix.

Prizmaxic said:
Hangdawg, thanks for the listen and the critique. I agree with you for the most part, but I think its listenable. I know it's not studio quality, but for where I recorded it and with the crappy gear I have, and the fact that I have like no engineering skills. I thought it was good enough. I'll keep trying to get better though. What kind of speakers did you listen to it on? I have the problem of things sounding sweet on my monitors, and then sounding dull on regular speakers.

I listened on crappy PC speakers at work, Alesis monitor I's in my living room, and Event Studio Precision 8's in my studio. Pretty much the same all around.

Could anyone tell me what they do to really make the kick drum cut through the mix and still sound deep. I can't seem to accomplish this feat.

Prizmaxic said:
Could anyone tell me what they do to really make the kick drum cut through the mix and still sound deep. I can't seem to accomplish this feat.

High pass the bass guitar around 80-100hz or thereabouts.

Back