Listen Like Brian

rayc

retroreprobate

I began this a while back - Greg L drummed on it.
I replaced most of the guitars with 3 new recordings using n Epiphone Sheraton II instead of the usual Bruno, (humbuckers instead of singles, plank with wings instead of hollow archtop),a 57 and a Kustom Defender 5H: one L, one R & 1 up the middle - the L&R are similar strummings patterns - some variations - and C is four on the floor.
There are accent guitars throughout and some extra bits in the choruses.
No vocals as yet.
Thoughts?

THe above mix has the fighting guitars switched around for the intro, the guitars lowered a bit, the drums raised a bit & a smidge of brightness added to them.
I didn't touch the bass, (a blend of DI & mic'd cabinet), as this wasn't suggested but it may, now, be a tad too prominent.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
My initial thoughts are that the focus on guitars has relegated the kit to the back row. I commented in some other post about how sonically dense guitars are, and how I prefer them to be pushed back.
So I would like to hear the kit brought forward and brightened up, with less emphasis on the guitars (including the bass).

For the first 12 seconds or so of the track, I sensed some timing tension between kit and guitars. I might be imagining it, but it just seemed to me that one was trying to push ahead of the other.

Gecko zzed,
Yep, some of the guitars spend the 1st bar or so catching up. I'll remix so they don't appear until they are up to speed. I heard it but wasn't sure if it was me. Thank you for confirming that aspect.
Guitars are dense in a mix if not H/L pass filtered - these aren't.
I'll listen again.
Thanks.

Overall, the sound is great. It's interesting what Gecko said about making the drums brighter, cuz the first thing I thought when I started listening was 'brighten something, just a wee bet - icing'. Don't touch the bass, though. It's delicious.

I don't even remember drumming this. Was it long ago? Whenever it was, I did pretty awesome. :D

Yeah, not because it's my drums, but bring the drums up, or guitars back, either way.

Greg,
You did the drums in the 1st half of last year. Lifted.
Dobro,
Thanks - icing on the kit only at present.

Yes the second mix is better - the guitars seem to gel together and have better tone. The bass is a bit hot when it pops out on those high notes but the riffs are great! Drums could come up for me...

I like the second mix a little better, although after the intro they're fairly similar. But the second mix is slightly less muddy. Some timing issues early in the song. Minor, but they're there.

I like the way the bass is playing. Good little accents here and there. LIke the bass tone too.

Cool tune Ray. On headphones sounds well balanced. Listened a few times, and the tune really warms up as it gets going. Theres a coupleof areas at the start where the guitars don't lock properly with the drums. Mix is OK, I'd like some more excitement from the drums

Ah, I remember this one. Didn't it used to have a Virginia Plain style lead vocal?

I like the general feel of it. I agree with your query about the bass being a little prominent now. I do think it dominates. May be worth leaving until you've got new vocals before adding though as you'll probably get a better idea of levels when all the parts are in.

You know, if you get the pro version of Soundcloud (even for just one month at 3 euros), you can update your mix while keeping all the views and comments instead of adding a second upload. For me, those 3 euros are quite worth it, then I cancel the account at the end of the month.

Very full sounding mix. If you are gonna add vocals, are you sure there will be space for them? I guess there are some high frequencies lacking there so if your vocalist has a high voice it might fit in perfectly. Very smooth, flowing song, like a river. Good job.

JJ.

Get vocals on this Ray!

If it was a few bpm more uptempo it would not sound out of place in a new wave/mod revival set...purple hearts, the chords etc

Even as is it provokes nostalgia...nice one

MMM,
Thanks mate. I think I'll rerecord the guiatr for the intro - comes from having no lead in/count in & trying to fit the speed & rhythm on the run. I'll botch some count in on and rerecord the intro. Cheers
Bulls Hit,
Ta, As mentioned I'll try redoing the intro. Drums wiull be more exciting when I've upped them a little more.
Robgreen,
this one hasn't had a vocal on it yet. I'll push the drums up a little & automate the bass a little as well. true that I can't go too far without a vocal. Thanks for your insight.
JJ,
I kep the old versions because folk can compare mixes and determin progress or regress more accurately. I'm also tight! Thanks for the positive words.
kcearl,
new wave/mod revival - well I lived & listened through it so it probably has some influence. The slower tempo was just a case of turning on the old Roland drum machine & pressing play. Luckily Greg's metabolism had slowed and could play at this speed.
How's the bub, Scotland, the missus and the cost of a round when you catch up with your mates? Vocals - yeah well, that's the hold up on this and another couple. Joe's a busy boy, Terry's working on another track (we do an annual song now it's seems), Fritsthegirl passed on this one, Eric's busy finishing his move from Louisiana to Bundaberg (home of the BEST rum in the world: Bundaberg Innercircle Overproof), Tim's working on his own track at present and that's about why this song was started in 2010 & despite a few complete rerecordings is incomplete.
I do have the lyrics sorted but need someone who's up for a little faux Brian Wilson solos production type project.

Robgreen,
this one hasn't had a vocal on it yet. I'll push the drums up a little & automate the bass a little as well. true that I can't go too far without a vocal. Thanks for your insight.

I could have sworn I'd heard it before and was sure I'd heard it with vocals. Just had to search back through your old mp3 clinic threads as I thought I was going mad...

Turns out you posted the instrumental before along with the lyrics you intended to form the melody - I must have read along with the song and imagined how I thought the vocals would go. Over the passage of time it appears, my imagining clearly lodged rather more firmly than the reality :facepalm:

...so now all you need to do is get Brian Ferry in to record the vocals and you're done. I can hum the melody to him if it helps.

MMM,
Thanks mate. I think I'll rerecord the guiatr for the intro - comes from having no lead in/count in & trying to fit the speed & rhythm on the run. I'll botch some count in on and rerecord the intro. Cheers
Bulls Hit,
Ta, As mentioned I'll try redoing the intro. Drums wiull be more exciting when I've upped them a little more.
Robgreen,
JJ,
I kep the old versions because folk can compare mixes and determin progress or regress more accurately. I'm also tight! Thanks for the positive words.
kcearl,
new wave/mod revival - well I lived & listened through it so it probably has some influence. The slower tempo was just a case of turning on the old Roland drum machine & pressing play. Luckily Greg's metabolism had slowed and could play at this speed.
How's the bub, Scotland, the missus and the cost of a round when you catch up with your mates? Vocals - yeah well, that's the hold up on this and another couple. Joe's a busy boy, Terry's working on another track (we do an annual song now it's seems), Fritsthegirl passed on this one, Eric's busy finishing his move from Louisiana to Bundaberg (home of the BEST rum in the world: Bundaberg Innercircle Overproof), Tim's working on his own track at present and that's about why this song was started in 2010 & despite a few complete rerecordings is incomplete.
I do have the lyrics sorted but need someone who's up for a little faux Brian Wilson solos production type project.

Bairn is fantastic mate...looking forward to giving her a sibling soon...in a cottage in the middle of the New Forest just now, recovering from Scotland and enjoying some peace and quiet before the US :)

here's a mix with a little less guitar, (fixed up the intro with a rerecording session), a little more drums, rode the bass to keep it from popping out too much and sprinkled a little top end EQ before a compressor & limiter on the stereo buss.

This last mix sounds the best to me. Everything is nice and clear. I'd like to hear it with vocals on though :thumbs up:

Back