lisp

jollylama

Why do I have a lisp when recording and not when I speak? Is it bad mics or bad recording. I use a BR-8 whih I know is not the problem. Please help

check your microphone placement. If you are right up on a condenser mic it is often sibilant or eeessssssy.

Or you might have a lisp and not know it - I, for instance, recently found out that I sound a lot like a certain muppet.

- Adrian

Some people develop a lisp under stress or when they are tired or allergic.

Try recording your speaking voice with the microphone about 8 to 12 inches away from your mouth. Sit up straight, and read something aloud for at least 3 or 4 minutes or until you are no longer self-conscious. After reading aloud, then sing a few very familiar stanzas without any regard for intonation or anything else (again, so that you stay relaxed). Listen to the playback -- is the lisp still there?

Then ask someone you trust to be honest with you whether you lisp when you speak, and if so, is it all the time or under certain circumstances? Ask the person to listen to the recording, too.

Often, because of bone conduction through the head, people think they sound one way and find even accurate recordings of their own voices repulsive when everyone else thinks they sound just fine.

The more experience you gain with hearing your own recorded voice, the less difficulty you will have with the way it sounds, and the more you can modify it to your liking. Just as you can develop your singing voice, so too can you develop your speaking voice. Recording and listening to playback of your voice (without judging yourself negatively for what you hear) are essential to voice training, in my opinion.

Stay with it. You'll definitely improve.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

jollylama said:
Why do I have a lisp when recording and not when I speak? Is it bad mics or bad recording. I use a BR-8 whih I know is not the problem. Please help

It could be the mic you're uthing. What kind ith it?

I do two things better when drinking, driving and ssssinging. Kristian, do you hang around drunks a lot? LOL The mic's are cheapo's

Are you playing guitar at the same time?

I had a folky type in my studio once and he couldn't play his guitar without singing at the same time. Anyway his attention swapped between his guitar and his voice when he was and wasn't singing, so every time he finished a passage with an S sound, he unknowingly held onto the S sound as his attention went to the guitar. IE. Foressssssssssssssssssssst. I'm talking like about 5 seconds worth!
He was horrified when he heard it back. :eek:

Just a thought.

Mark

are you using any compression while tracking? fast, hard compression can give you a lisp sound, as it cuts the siblance off the begining of the words... ( and that thucks )

Back