Linux Alternative

vestast

Gassy Member
This article was forwarded to me today..

It's a linux system that uses CompactFlash card instead of a hard drive, "to eliminate hard disk chatter".....(I've never noticed hard drive chatter on my recordings)....

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8275095591.html

It is pretty cool though, but I don't know about his selection of sound card...

WTF is with the harmonica's though ? :D

hmm..

i'm sure theres a wonderful practical application for this setup but i don't see audio recording as one of them..first of all with the live cd what they didn't tell you is you have to wait about 5 minutes or so before you even get to the os. Also whether you load this version toram or to the flash card each have terrible drawbacks.

1) loading toram (which probably isn't possible since the compressed image is over 512mb) will be terrible because it would take several minutes to even boot up to the os. Afterthat any changes or settings you tweaked will be lost as soon as you reboot the machine.
2) If you load it to the flash card you're still in trouble..7mb/sec? What is this guy smoking? If that really is the true read/write access number then you should be prepared to wait and be frustrated..even standard hard drives can sustain 20-30mb/sec. I don't think that flash card would be able to handle any kind of serious recording projects.

On top of all that those via processors aren't even as fast as celerons. Alot of people on this board prefer to stay away from celerons and with good reason. The via's are at least a few steps below this. Not that they are just absolute garbage and have no purpose..they could be used for basic/proprietary applications but not for something as demanding as audio recording and editing.

My experience with linux has been off and on and my opinion is this: When a Linux distro. is released that nears the functionality and ease of use of windows it is usually slower than windows on the same machine. Couple that with the harder to find software and I have never really seen a benefit of it. If you are all about security then thats a different story.

Ya I was wondering about the VIA chipset myself, although all the problems that people have reported with it have been with Windows (I think). It would have been a better test if he could have gotten the Delta 44 card.

When a Linux distro. is released that nears the functionality and ease of use of windows it is usually slower than windows on the same machine

My experience has been the exact opposite. I've never had a windows machine that was faster than a linux install on the same machine. Before people start flaming ( you know who you are) that has been my experience....

:cool:

awww i was hoping for a meaningless exchange 5 pages long :)

perhaps I was using bloated versions or ones with too many jolly candy-like buttons :)...but then again I was trying to compare it to winxp as well....

as far as the via chip goes I think regardless of the OS you use it is just fundamentally less powerful than a celeron on any platform...

dlv

Back