Linking two DMT8VLs

Dom Franco

I have had my Dmt8vl for years, and it has served me well.
No glitches, great sound. I upgraded to a 2.5 gig HD for a full hour worth of recording time on 8 tracks.

I recently decided to purchase another Dmt8vl from e-bay and link the two together as master and slave. The manual says that this is possible.

Have any of you fostex users done this?
any tips any problems?

Thanks for the help.

Dom Franco

:D

Never used the DMT8VL, but it's similar to my FD-8. To link the 2 together, you need to use the MIDI connection and set one of them to master and one to slave via the properties or sytem menu. Make sure that both have the same frame rate and that both have the same offset. I slave my FD-8 to all sorts of stuff or have stuff slaved to my FD-8. Works like a charm.

No they run well synced...Midi and light pipe need to used{Digital Chase}..Do you have the manuel?Chase machine won't chase if you don't have anything recorded on it..It will screw with you ..LOL..But if you set the second mach. into record it will chase then..I always record silence on a track of the second mach. while Im recording on the first so it will follow the master..Just my habit...

Don

Thanks Henry

That's great information! I had that same problem and thought the unit was defective! It would record alone but not synced up!

I switched the master/slave setting and now it works. It must not like it when there is nothing recorded on the 2nd unit!

Any other information you have would be helpful, the manual doesn't say much about it.

Can you digitaly bounce tracks in sync?
How about cut and paste editing, is that limited to each separate machine?

I would appreciate any helpful hints you bight have.

BTW... at the prices these units are going for on E-bay, they just might be the greatest deal in uncompressed digital hardisk recording ever!

I might get a 3rd unit for 24 tracks!

Thanks for the help;

Dom Franco
:p

I have copy/pasted of a sort between 2 machines. It's not a true copy paste though. Just arm a track on the master machine and record the output of your chase machine. Set the in/out points as normal on the master machine. Need to move something from the master to the slave? reverse the role. works like a charm.

Back