Linking two daws Question

Dj SoundStorm

Hi

For my main system I have a amd athlon 64 with gigabyte motherboard and a MAudio 2496 audio card. my second daw I recently finshed is about the same specs.

I would like to link both using the second as a slave, mostly plan to use it like a virutal effects and synth rack.

For my midi interfaces I have two midisport 8x8

Now for linking I was looking at the Motu 2408 ? or the m audio Firewire 1814

would either of these work for this task ?

I don't think either of those interfaces will assist you in linking the two computers, other than patching the audio out of one computer to inputs of the other. This could be fine for you. It really depends on what you are trying to do and how you wish your work-flow to be within the softwares you use.
You could always check out FX Teleport and/or Wormhole.

i have this syncing feeling...........

Dj SoundStorm said:
Hi

For my main system I have a amd athlon 64 with gigabyte motherboard and a MAudio 2496 audio card. my second daw I recently finshed is about the same specs.

I would like to link both using the second as a slave, mostly plan to use it like a virutal effects and synth rack.

For my midi interfaces I have two midisport 8x8

Now for linking I was looking at the Motu 2408 ? or the m audio Firewire 1814

would either of these work for this task ?

you want the digital audio in digital format to go to the other machine, have effects performed on it and have it come back synced in time (and space) with all the other tracks that did not go?

I'm thinking no go on that one.

you want to use one like a super sampler and send it midi info and have it feed wave files to the other one in audio format and have the other one convert it and record a track?

Yeah, would work.

basically all the ad and da converters in Both systems should be synced to the same word clock, and I don't know how that is gonna work.

Rstiltskin said:
you want the digital audio in digital format to go to the other machine, have effects performed on it and have it come back synced in time (and space) with all the other tracks that did not go?

I'm thinking no go on that one.

You may want to have a look at the two links I posted.
I use FX Teleport from time to time with satisfying results.
Of course, with anything, the software you use and your system configuration will play part in ones success rate in utilizing a tool such as FX Teleport or any other audio over LAN solution.

-Ken

i did, i thought i was mistaken, but i was wrong.....

crankz1 said:
You may want to have a look at the two links I posted.
I use FX Teleport from time to time with satisfying results.
Of course, with anything, the software you use and your system configuration will play part in ones success rate in utilizing a tool such as FX Teleport or any other audio over LAN solution.

-Ken

here is a quote for their site.....

You work from a single host program on your main machine. The FX are totally integrated into the host - therefore you end up with one song file which contains all your plug-in settings, plug-in parameter automation, and mix integrating all the FX and Instruments.

that takes care of my concern for syncing, using a vst wrapper is very clever. all the tracks must stay on one machine, still cool and more than I thought could be done.

uh, do you use cubase?

here is a sticky from there forum:
A bug has been discovered and confirmed by Steinberg regarding audio timing in Cubase.

Please read more about it here.

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3266

and here

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3267

here is a link to the support forum:
http://www.fx-max.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=f720f26de98ce8aca2e99d89e896fa34

and here is a post for the plasq forums:
http://plasq.com/forums/wormhole/

like most things, when they work, they work. thanks for the links.

No I don't use Cubase, though if memory serves me ... I think the issues only apply to SX/SL 3. Worked fine for me in Nuendo 2 ... not sure about N 3 as I haven't the need for the upgrade as of yet. Spent a good portion of money on a new machine that is quite capable of handling my projects without the need to teleport effects/VSTi's. It was a god send when working with my older PIII machines.
I can't say anything for Wormhole .... never used it and had only heard about it recently.

Back