Linking two ADATs...

Mip

After talking with Black Apple i've been considering getting an ADAT setup. Although as far as I know an ADAT is only 8 tracks, which I don't think will be enough for me, my band, and other bands which I hope to record.
I had the idea of getting the ADAT studio pack, then getting another LX20 to connect to it, to make 16 tracks total. Is this possible? Is it hard to do?
By the looks of it, it's expensive, so would I be better off getting a VS-1680 or something like it?

ADATs are designed to sync up to 16 units (allowing up to 128 tracks) effortlessly using the 9-pin sync cable. Nothing harder than plugging in the cable to make them work.

Bruce

special cable?

When you plug two ADATS together, the one you run the cord out of will be #1 and the 2nd machine will automaticly sync up as it's slave.
Alesis suggests a special cable to link up two ADATS.
I just use a common 9 pin (RS 32) cable from *GULP* Radio Shack. It seems to work fine. Any time Radio Shack is mentioned on this site, I am open to ridicule. I know there will be those scorners who detest the place; but in a pinch I will often use their products.

Dom Franco

You can use a 9-pin male/male connector but it MUST be both shielded and grounded (the RadScrap ones are, which is why it's working for you, Dom) - but regular computer stock 9-pin is not good enough....

Bruce

Back