Link strength

Dj17

Since I need to record vocals, electric guitar and bass while listening to the rest of the song in playback (I will most likely be tracking one instrument at a time and the drum tracks will all be created using various hardware/software drum machines, so I don't need more than 2 tracks I guess, and I'm also using a midi controller on Reason), I figured that I probably need to get a better mic, preamp and soundcard. I also need to improve the quality of my mixes, and someone suggested that I invest in monitors. I am a complete ignorant when it comes to monitors, since I have never used them. Anyway, I think I'll give it a try.

While looking for those products, I was suggested many devices that fitted my budget, but I would like to get your opinion on them linked together. For instance, is there a device that would be too weak or too good for the chain? I don't want to waste money on something that just won't be used to a decent percentage of its potential, and I don't want to buy something that will really bring down the quality of rest of the chain.

Of course, I was offered some choices, and you might combine them in the way you want, or suggest new ones. I have looked for information on most of the suggestions that were made and they seemed to fit my budget and the requirements of my projects.

Mics: Shure SM57 or SM58 / Studio Projects B1.
Preamp: M-Audio DMP3 / Preamps included in the Yamaha mixer MG10/2
Soundcard: Audiophile 2496/Audiophile 192/E-MU 0404/E-MU 1212m.
Monitors: None have been suggested to me. Here's your chance to do so. Btw, I have seen the M-Audio Studiophile DX4: they fit my budget, but what are your opinions on those?

Also, is there anything missing? Enlighten me.

So, thanks for reading that. It must've been long and boring.

Yes PC is powerful -- 3.2 GHz, 1.5GB of RAM, and I have already used different versions of Reason, Sonar and Cubase...

Thanks for the suggestions. But is every product I/you mentionned in the same league?

a lot of it comes down to personal preference imho.
if you want TOP CONVERTORS in a soundcard then look at RME or lynx.
high end mic pre's...hardy, great river also check out fmraudio.com.
if you want something new in software..that helps you get song ideas down check out band in a box sometime. youi choose a song style and enter song chords and it builds a back up band in software. very addictive.
if you want the link to try it - ask.
on mics - frankly never been disappointed by beyer and also 2 crown pzm's over a drum kit. trigger the snare and kik to a sampler. peace.

lol. Just looked at a few of them.

I don't know about the quality, but the price IS out of league, apparently.

350 for a mic, 450 for monitors... it's more than twice the price I was about to pay :).

heres a cheap input sig chain that should sound good.
cad gxl (50 bucks) into a yamaha mg mixer (90 bucks) into an audiophile 2496 or phase sound card (100 bucks). total...240 bucks.

Back