Lining up different tracks...

Grim

I am able to align different audio tracks, however, I am unable to keep them in place. Here's my process...

1) Get all tracks into n-track
2) Align tracks so that vocals, guitar, backing vocals, etc are coming in at correct times (I usually expand and then retract the track views to get as close as possible)
3) Set eq levels and\or add effects

When I go to play back all tracks, nothing is lined up where it's supposed to be. So I start the process all over...same problem.

I've even aligned all the tracks where I want them, and then saved the song assuming that it would keep the settings. When I brought the song back up, the tracks were out of alignment.

I then assumed that it may be a problem with lag on the system I'm using so I dumped the file down to a stereo .wav file...again...tracks were out of alignment.

Am I missing something?

Just a guess here, because I haven't used this feature much, but it sounds like maybe the "snap to grid" function is moving the tracks to the nearest grid line. I don't recall if this is an "on-off" toggle kind of function, but if it is and you want to align manually, make sure it is turned off...

Let me know if this helps.

-J

Are you recording into another program outside of N-Track? It would be easier to do your recording inside N-Track, so everything was in time with itself. If you are importing wav files, they can all have different starting times, so it's very difficult to get them exactly right.

H2H

The original recording was done on one of the older 4-track (cassette) Tascams. I did find out why the tracks were not staying place though...

After you have adjusted everything where you need it...if you right click on the track, there is an option to lock it all in place. Once I did that I didn't have any problems.

Thanks.

Tracks not lining up

Ive just started playing around with N-track and I record all tracks within N-tracks,nothing imported and NONE of the tracks line up!There is a lag on every track after the first track,each being a little farther behind than track one.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks!:D

Back