Lingo

Noah Nelson

Does anyone know of a list to descriptive words for sounds? ex: if i boosted the high frequencies too loud i would describe it as "tinny"or "like a cellphone" but i'm sure there is a professional word for it already!

Does anyone know of a list to descriptive words for sounds? ex: if i boosted the high frequencies too loud i would describe it as "tinny"or "like a cellphone" but i'm sure there is a professional word for it already!

Hmmm sounds like that'd be a boost more in the mid/high-mid range than the upper frequencies. That's usually what phones transmit! Anyways mid/upper stuff is called tinny, sharp, brittle, piercing, etc. Lower excess is usually bassy, muddy, or fat. I'm sure there's a bout a billion other terms but nothing is really the law.

It's further complicated by personal taste. Some people find my condenser mics harsh and brittle whereas I describe them as having crispness and clarity. On the other hand, dynamic lovers think their mics are "warm" but I find them "muddy".

One area where there are real words though is for problems. "Hum" "buzz" and "noise" all mean different things. The number of times we've tried to chase down an earth loop fault because somebody said "hum" when, in reality, it's noise from pushing the gain on a cheap pre amp doesn't bear thinking about.

There's no cheat sheet for experience or crib notes for knowledge. If there was, we would all be pros.

I don't know of any exact definitions. It's usually just people trying to relate what they've heard. As you get more experience and knowledge you will understand better what they are talking about and trying to describe - that may or may not be accurate. It will come to you in time, Grasshopper.

If you work out exactly what "warm" and "punchy" mean, do share... :D

Anytime I think of "punchy" it's never really a good term in my mind, though I know others use it as one. I always imagine like a super-compressed kick drum or something lol :D

Anytime I think of "punchy" it's never really a good term in my mind, though I know others use it as one. I always imagine like a super-compressed kick drum or something lol :D

Right on!
And warm to me means that it's full sounding with a full balance across the EQ band with no peaks ... Especially from the high end.

Back