line6 toneport/gearbox question

dmbfan1981

Does anyone have this line6 product??

I like the software but do not want to have to use the interface. If I buy this, will the software open as a plug-in within sonar so that I can just use my soundcard interface to input my guitar, not have to use the USB to bog down my system??? thanks.

i think you might be able to... i have gearbox and i've used it as a standalone and as an au plugin. but i think you'd want to use it with the hardware so you have direct monitoring and no latency...?

and i think it's required to have the hardware usb plugged in for it to open at all...

Yeah, I looked into it a little more and I may have been mistaken. I don't know if you can use it without the usb plugged in.

Does anyone have this line6 product??

I like the software but do not want to have to use the interface. If I buy this, will the software open as a plug-in within sonar so that I can just use my soundcard interface to input my guitar, not have to use the USB to bog down my system??? thanks.

Here are your answers, and I'll try and explain....
Yes, the gearbox will open in Sonar if you buy the plugin. Yes, you have to have the Tone Port DI plugged into your USB, because it acts as a dongle. Having said that, the other thing for you to know is that you may certainly use your existing soundcard as an input for your guitar; you just need the toneport DI plugged in, and nothing else. If you buy the gearbox plugin you can use what ever DI you want. You can get the "gold" version right now at MF for $99, and that includes the toneport DI. This includes 72 guitar amp models and some bass, and vocal amp models. This is a sweet deal, as the models you get are the entire collection from Line 6.

On the other hand, you may find that you like the DI. There are a few ways to use it. One way is just like a sound card to get audio into your computer. Ther other way is to just take the outputs of the thing and feed your current sound card, which is what I do. When you do this, you have the option of recording one of two different outputs. One of them is the sound with the processing applied, and the other is a plain old guitar sound, so that you can "re-amp" the signal within your host, and try different amp models, or stack them, etc... I use it this way because even though I have a sweet system, I still can't get the latency down to suit me. It's a handy dandy little program, and the gold gear box is a stupid steal at $99. Anyone who records a lot should get it just on general principles, even if they don't like modelers. It makes a great DI for bass, and it has lots of sweet effects, and vocal preamp models. It's really a serious recording tool priced like a toy.

Peace!

~Shawn

I just got the silver package from Guitar Center fo $89. When you update it online you get everything that's in the Gold version for free. This thing is loads of fun:D

Back