line noise while monitoring

Dr Shock

Any help would be appreciated.....Here is my setup

Mackie 8 bus into 24 bit RME (HDSP 9652 ) AD converters at +4 into PC (2.2gig 512 ram 2 internal hard drives 7200 each)

Out of RME card ( lightpipe ) to blackface ADAT ( 16 bit ), back to Mackie at +4 using Elco connection

using Cubase SX3 and Adobe Audition 1.5

I am getting some nasty line nosie when monitoring .....the only thing that I can think of is that it may be the blackface converters....when I monitor just the 8 bus the signal is very quiet....as soon as I run the signal in and out of my PC with the above configuration, nosie is created

Are there other things to consider besides the obvious weak link to my setup ( the blackface converters )

Dirty electricity could be a factor..especially in older buildings. I got a TrippLite LC-1800 and LC-1200 line stabilizer/conditioners. It not only protects from brownouts and spikes it keeps my system at a consistent 120v. Didn't really notice it until I plugged in my Furman power conditioner that has the LED's. It shows how much of a drop and overvoltage the powerlines change thru-out the day. Especially on hot summer days when people are running air conditioners.

The studio is in a seperate building with it's on panel and multiple circuits, although I have all of my gear running off of one circuit to avoid ground loops. The electricity was run before the walls were built and this was only 2 years ago and done by a professional electrician. The other thing is that when I just run my board, and bypass the PC and ADAT converters, the system is very stable.
thanks, and I will look into what you mentioned

Back