line conversions/sound loss

natbot

I've recorded analog for some time, and I'm finally making the digital jump (thinking of getting a Delta 66 for my macclone) and when confronted with what sound card to get i started to wonder about how much sound quality is lost in line-type-conversions. working with lots of different gear i have often times found myself converting an RCA output to 1/4" and then to 1/8", and things like that... if i'm using decent, reliable cables, how much am i loosing?

basically my more specific question is this: what am i loosing when i convert RCA to 1/4"(stereo)? anything?
and if so, what?

Nothing in the case of RCA and 1/4" phono as long as your adapter and source connectors are of good quality. This really isn't a "conversion"...you're just changing the connector...the signals are the same.

I would recommend buying some high quality 1/4" to RCA cables and avoid the adapter thing altogether. This cable, as all cable, will be expensive, but worth it. I just bought some 5' 1/4" -> RCA cables at $10 a whop...and those are cheap.

At some point you might consider making your own cables. The quality of your cabling will indeed affect your sound...whether you're using solid cables or cables + adapters...it's all the same deal.

Now, when we get into balanced 1/4" TRS and XLR things get a bit trickier...you might search the BBS for info.

Slackmaster 2000

Back