line attenuators

alexthacowboy

hello, i have a really nice altec preamp, whatever i tries to use at kick but gain only can be adjusted to -60 and -70, so kick clip a lot, do u think if i use a line attenuator like the shure( can select 10, 15 or 25) can solve my problem?

thanks.

In your opinion, does the attenuator seem to change the sound of the mic that you are using it on? I need a couple of them myself and I was told that it could do more harm than good. does anyone have any experiance where they were not satisifed simply because of the pad changing quality?

thajeremy said:
In your opinion, does the attenuator seem to change the sound of the mic that you are using it on? I need a couple of them myself and I was told that it could do more harm than good. does anyone have any experiance where they were not satisifed simply because of the pad changing quality?

I've heard that, but it seems to be kind of a purist issue. Given the nature of most of our equipment, I would think a well-designed and well-built passive pad would be the least of our worries. :)

i have a pair of the shure attenuators and while i have not really tested with them on and with them off, they did not seem to affect the sound... and for me i didnt have much choice because when using my audix scx-ones as drum overheads with a loud drummer, even with the gain on my q10 all the way down id still clip...

the shure pads are solid and of good quality... and expensive...

dan

A-designs (I think) also makes the ATTY. It's two channels with a knob so that you can adjust exactly how much you want to attenuate it. Very nice unit.

Back