Limiter in mixing

The only time I have ever used a limiter in mixing was when I was purposely trying to create a special artificial sound for the instrument like a goofball U2/Slash-style guitar or a wall-of-something.

But as far as using it to "clean up" a track or getting the track to fit into the mix, no I don't believe I personally have ever had to resort to hard limiting.

G.

Yeah, I'm will Glen on this one. I probably use one more for effect (morbidly reduced dynamics) than for practical reasons.

Once upon a time I put a limiter on my master busses, but after a certain Mr. Katz bitch slapped me with the knowledge on "why that's not a good idea", I've never made that mistake again.

I just mastered an album for a client who had a limiter on his master bus, and all of his mixdowns were limited to about -6db RMS. It was a huge pain in the ears.

I use them for some of the drum thumps for Industrial beats to get an Over compressed pumping sound and bring out the beat portion more, but thats about it.

I think you lose alot of headroom for mastering if you have a limiter in the mix

I'll use them to even out snare hits some times. Software plug like Sonitus with lookahead works good for this for an 'uneffected snare style and can take some load off of the 2-bus comp.
Wayne
...or 2-buss no-comp too. :D

I commonly use hard limiting on kick drum tracks on rock/punk songs. It helps me achieve consistancy and is especially useful to me in songs with really fast kick drum hits.

i don't know if it's the "proper" thing to do...but i also know that there are no rules when it comes to mixing, so very often i will use a limiter at the tops of my peaks just in case there are some strays anywhere along the way. and i'm talking about doing it on virtually every instrument. i don't know if that made any sense. but, it's hard to put into words. and i'm sure that some people will probably consider that absolutely ridiculous. but, it definitely helps to cut out on needless peaking.

sorry if that made no sense.

Back