"Like a Wave" a collab with a new HR member (alba320)

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music
Words and Music by Craig Bennedum / Patrick Mullen. I tracked the guitars and bass and mixed this version. Please let me know what you think.

Now, if you have time for the whole story: Patrick posted this tune in the clinic back in November 2010
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...-rock-daughtry-style-song-313819/#post3529754
I thought it was a great song, but I had some major problems with the amounts of reverb and unconvincing guitar tones. After 6 months, he had made many improvements to the mix, but I told him the guitars were still not serving the song. I begged him to let me take a crack at re-tracking them. He finally agreed; I wore him down :). I left the original drums program and vocals basically the same, but put about 6 guitars tracks and a new bass track on it. I think he’s going to put real drums on this soon, which should take it to the next level.

Thanks again Patrick and to HR for listening :D:D

Last edited:
Hey Brad, awesome job, as I said. Just to clarify, Craig actually wrote the lyrics, not me. When I try to write lyrics, it all sounds too cheesy, I'll just stick to music.

Patrick Mullen
EAE Music Productions

I listened a few times and I think this is very well done guys. A little more on the commercially viable end of the spectrum than what I am drawn to, but it sounds to me like it works for what it is. The vocalist is talented and the tune is certainly catchy.

The drums do seem to me to be a little on the lite side, but perhaps for this sort of genre that is appropriate. I'm thinking if you could include real drums that might fill it out a bit and give it more energy. Guitars sound good. I'm always a sucker for that double string bend thing...:)

Right on! Great vocals!! One nit. The drums are almost consistently behind the rest of the music. Nudge the entire track forward about 30ms and it'll tighten it up. Dude.... Can I do drums??? I'd absolutely love to get in on this one. Sounds great! Lemme know.

I listened a few times and I think this is very well done guys. A little more on the commercially viable end of the spectrum than what I am drawn to, but it sounds to me like it works for what it is. The vocalist is talented and the tune is certainly catchy.

The drums do seem to me to be a little on the lite side, but perhaps for this sort of genre that is appropriate. I'm thinking if you could include real drums that might fill it out a bit and give it more energy. Guitars sound good. I'm always a sucker for that double string bend thing...:)

Thanks for the listen Heat. Your are right about the commercial aspect, although it might be so decades earlier, I tried to modernize a bit with less reverb and distortion. Yep, those finger drums just don't hit ya in the head like the real ones do. Oh, yea, I love a double string bend too....I just wish I could do it well :D

Right on! Great vocals!! One nit. The drums are almost consistently behind the rest of the music. Nudge the entire track forward about 30ms and it'll tighten it up. Dude.... Can I do drums??? I'd absolutely love to get in on this one. Sounds great! Lemme know.

Thanks dude. Sometimes when I was listening, I got the feeling that somebody leaned up against the tape reels :eek:. I would love to hear your drums on this! I hope it would work, meaning I hope my guitar tracks aren't too far off. I did keep the click on during all tracking, so there's hope that I was on it and that the drums slipped back and forth instead of me. Let me see what Patrick wants to do and I'll let you know asap.
:D:)

This is all good musically Maxi, you don't need any advice on the performance or the mix. The problem is cutting yourself a compelling and contemporary style. That is the hard part that all of us have to figure out.

P.S. Sorry for being a wet rag people :)

This is all good musically Maxi, you don't need any advice on the performance or the mix. The problem is cutting yourself a compelling and contemporary style. That is the hard part that all of us have to figure out.

P.S. Sorry for being a wet rag people :)

Thanks for the listen Tobe. Regarding style, I don't really see a problem there, because I play what I like regardless of whether or not it's contemporary. If I can nudge it toward a certain sound/style, then fine. But I'm not hung up keeping up with the times.
:)

Thanks for the listen Tobe. Regarding style, I don't really see a problem there, because I play what I like regardless of whether or not it's contemporary. If I can nudge it toward a certain sound/style, then fine. But I'm not hung up keeping up with the times.
:)

Good for you Maxi. It was a generic comment aimed as much to myself as anyone else. :)

Nice performances here....pretty radio friendly, even as a non rock guy I could have this on in the background...nice voice and guitar/bass work

I didnt like the drums so much, they did sound a bit in the box...not a bad pattern but the samples were more EZ drummer than Superior Drummer

though its prolly a real drummer lol...everything else in the mix sounded great

Edit: it just struck me, the chorus would be great in a commercial...Hope thats not offensive, but the lyrics and style would work with so much stuff

BTW alba? must be Scottish no???

.... samples were more EZ drummer than Superior Drummer....
LOl! Thanks dude! I don't remember what samples Patrick said he used, but, yea, this tune could benefit from real drums for sure to glue it together. I said that if this song doesn't end up being appreciated in some commercial medium that the world is deaf, dumb, and blind! :eek: Maybe, I'm being an extreme moderate again.

Thanks Keith :):D:cool:

The drums came from a program called Drumsite. This was my first crack at writing/recording with Adobe Audition. The first mix is what resulted from that. It was before I had any choice in guitar tone/plugins. I actually started to retrack the entire thing, just haven't finished it yet. I would love to hear another set of real drums on this tune.

The drums came from a program called Drumsite. .

I was just teasin, you have a great tune and performance here. The only obstacle I see is that I think its hard to slip a less than absolutely pro recording into this genre,( where you can get away with it in other genres.) The live drums may get it closer IDK. Overall I think its a fine recording with a good shot at getting some real attention.

Hotdamn, what a great voice! Post more of it, guys...!
All it needs is the real drums and it'll kill. Beautiful stuff!

Hotdamn, what a great voice! Post more of it, guys...!
All it needs is the real drums and it'll kill. Beautiful stuff!
Thanks Joe! The only unsigned dude I've heard that can even hold a candle to your voice and he's not even a member of the HR. You can't blame me for wanting to be a part of this! Jason is hard at work on the real drums now and he promises a sweet ride :D.
BTW - "You" got a ton of hits on Soundcloud man, thanks for the FB post! :D

Back