Like A Rolling Stone....in a fashion.

Mr Clean

AKA Teddy Wong
it's been a long while since I've posted anything here in the clinic. Having moved house and finally got myself set back up I've since struggled to find any time at all to write or record. Last night I sat writing a song but found myself stealing Bob Dylan's lyrics from Like A Rolling Stone so I thought.....why not? For nothing but fun. I never do covers usually.

So it's not so much a cover, more of a bastardization. I changed a few lyrics just because I felt like it and missed a verse completely. The 2nd verse is an amalgamation of the real 2nd and 3rd verses of the song.

It's nothing special, I still have stuff to do to it. Sing it better for a start and put a final bassline down. This one was just a jam/sketch/idea. I like bits of it. The drums are only a start, I plan to work on them also.

Thoughts on levels etc appreciated? Comments, ridicule and anything else you might want to throw at me. I'm still getting used to this new room I'm in.

:thumbs up:

***************************************************​

*EDIT* Here's the updated version as of Tuesday 26th Nov

New Drums, added tambourine, new bass, new vocals, EQ'd instruments, still a bit rough but I'm getting there.

Last edited:
Listened 2x and I love alot of the elements in this....The melding of influences.....It's like you are backed by the WHO, and you sing it as a mish-mash of Daultry & Dylan.......Really cool vibe.....needs a break-up in the middle....................Heck you could bust out a RAP on this one too....

Mix is fine to my ears........

This is going to be good - it helps that your voice suits it so well.
I'll refrain from detail because I'd like to hear where you go with this.
Good stuff.

Listened 2x and I love alot of the elements in this....The melding of influences.....It's like you are backed by the WHO, and you sing it as a mish-mash of Daultry & Dylan.......Really cool vibe.....needs a break-up in the middle....................Heck you could bust out a RAP on this one too....

Mix is fine to my ears........

Thanks Steve. That's a really positive reply.....I like positive. We're on the same page as I thought about putting the missing verse in there with some instrumental break down. It definitely needs something and I will find it :thumbs up:

This is going to be good - it helps that your voice suits it so well.
I'll refrain from detail because I'd like to hear where you go with this.
Good stuff.

Thanks Ray. I've got more ideas for it, not too much though as I don't want to overkill it with instruments. A bit more guitar, tighter bass and some drum fills and sing the vocal again, get it a bit tighter as this was a one take wonder just so I knew where I was in the recording. Maybe a breakdown for the middle to break it up a bit.

I'll keep the post updated :thumbs up:

Love how this sounds! Though I'm not sure what I think of how far back the snare sounds. It sounds like it's in a different room?

Love how this sounds! Though I'm not sure what I think of how far back the snare sounds. It sounds like it's in a different room?

The snare was an error on my part. I somehow missed the send to the drum bus. It wont be so far back when I get back to working on it.

Cool man, I like it. Really like it. Great to hear you back up and recording. The guitar sounds are great, and kinda remind me a bit of Brian Jonestown Massacre, which is why I'm going to suggest the following. I mean, it sounds freaking great as it is but would you consider a tambourine? The only reason I thought of it is because BJM do this kind of hard strummy stuff on the guitar too, and they have a lot of tambo. I love the way the two sounds compliment each other. That's just me. If you left it as it is, I'd still think it's awesome. :)

Cool man, I like it. Really like it. Great to hear you back up and recording. The guitar sounds are great, and kinda remind me a bit of Brian Jonestown Massacre, which is why I'm going to suggest the following. I mean, it sounds freaking great as it is but would you consider a tambourine? The only reason I thought of it is because BJM do this kind of hard strummy stuff on the guitar too, and they have a lot of tambo. I love the way the two sounds compliment each other. That's just me. If you left it as it is, I'd still think it's awesome. :)

Thanks frits. BJM are great and I know what you mean. There will be a tambourine in there at some point. I already have it in mind.

This is damn cool, could only listen quietly so can't give much comment on the mix and balance etc but I'll look forward to giving it a loud blast when I can. It's from such a great era of Dylan where all his surreal wordplay just seemed to tumble out so effortlessly and your voice is really well suited to it.

Really like the melodic changes you made too - it was driving me nuts what the changes brought to mind for a while. I think it finally struck me that it might be The Porpoise Song by The Monkees which is fucking cool too. Any song that brings together that and Like A Rolling Stone is all good with me :thumbs up:

First, love your voice (not a man crush), just really like the vocals you do. I like the direction of the song, but I will be honest, you sounded a little confused (not free flowing). Like you got off track or something. If you can settle it in your mind where you want to go and take another go at it, I think you have a ^%&* (I needed an explicative there for emphases) cool song!

This is damn cool, could only listen quietly so can't give much comment on the mix and balance etc but I'll look forward to giving it a loud blast when I can. It's from such a great era of Dylan where all his surreal wordplay just seemed to tumble out so effortlessly and your voice is really well suited to it.

Really like the melodic changes you made too - it was driving me nuts what the changes brought to mind for a while. I think it finally struck me that it might be The Porpoise Song by The Monkees which is fucking cool too. Any song that brings together that and Like A Rolling Stone is all good with me :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening and the kind words Rob. Much appreciated. Very cool that you mentioned my favourite Monkees song. :thumbs up:

First, love your voice (not a man crush), just really like the vocals you do. I like the direction of the song, but I will be honest, you sounded a little confused (not free flowing). Like you got off track or something. If you can settle it in your mind where you want to go and take another go at it, I think you have a ^%&* (I needed an explicative there for emphases) cool song!

Thanks DM. When you say I sound a little confused are you referring to the vocals or the instruments? I guess I was a little with regards to it all really and this is nowhere near finished. The vocals, bass and some guitars will be re-done as I gave them a half-assed effort just to get some sounds on there. The bassline was one take hitting the same 6 notes. I now have a solid bassline to record for it, today hopefully. I have some free time while I wait for a parcel to arrive.

RE:the vocals, I did that in one take also just so I knew where I was and I actually fluffed the first line of each verse. They sound funny because I cut them all word by word and arranged them as I should of sang them. Stretched some of them too to fit. But like I said, this was all quick fire, rushed, demo. Now it's time to put some effort in and get it tidied up.

Yeah other than the snare this was a pretty good track. Great vocals!

Thanks Ido. Hopefully I can do the vocals justice when I re-record them later and actually put some effort in. :thumbs up:

Thanks DM. When you say I sound a little confused are you referring to the vocals or the instruments? I guess I was a little with regards to it all really and this is nowhere near finished. The vocals, bass and some guitars will be re-done as I gave them a half-assed effort just to get some sounds on there. The bassline was one take hitting the same 6 notes. I now have a solid bassline to record for it, today hopefully. I have some free time while I wait for a parcel to arrive.

RE:the vocals, I did that in one take also just so I knew where I was and I actually fluffed the first line of each verse. They sound funny because I cut them all word by word and arranged them as I should of sang them. Stretched some of them too to fit. But like I said, this was all quick fire, rushed, demo. Now it's time to put some effort in and get it tidied up.

Must be it, the flow wasn't as smooth in some places. Based on what you've said, I think your next outing will solve that.

Nice sound and i like the vocals. The drums sound needs to be worked out (as you said it was only a starting point).
The instrumental part is a bit confusing. Maybe applying low cut filters on each instrument can help.
Anyway i think you're in the way to get a nice mix.

Nice sound and i like the vocals. The drums sound needs to be worked out (as you said it was only a starting point).
The instrumental part is a bit confusing. Maybe applying low cut filters on each instrument can help.
Anyway i think you're in the way to get a nice mix.

Thanks fakas. Appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Update to the first version. New drums, fills etc. I'm not a drummer and I don't use loops, I make my own so if they sound crap, that's why. Tighter bassline added. I re-did the vocals but I'm still not 100% with them yet. EQ some of the instruments to get them to gel a bit better.

This still very much a faders up mix though. Having spent the day messing with it, my ear is a bit overwhelmed with it for now. But I thought I'd post my progress thus far.

Cheers :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Back