Libertines style song

guitarboi89

I’m currently recording this 4 piece (bass added just for the recording), there pretty good. This was my first time recording a drum kit, it was done with two behringer c2's and a random dynamic in front of the kick drum.
The guitars were played through a fender blues junior recorded with a Studio projects B1. Vocals the SP B1 and the bass was DI'ed.
Here’s the link:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4176

Last edited:
Is that what the Libertines sound like? I've heard of them...

Once this song starts it sounds pretty good. But something in that intro doesn't quite click for me with timing issues and all those "tinky" cymbals.

But as I've already admitted above, I don't get to listen to much of this kind of stuff :)

It has a great live feel to it. I'd stop and listen if I heard this from outside a pub. The vocals are nice and bright which is cool but perhaps they don't quite sit with the rest.

Thanks for the listen. I'll go and find that pub...
aspiring

Cool song, I like it. I would try mixing the lead guitar a bit more in your face (the one that you pannend right) The way it is now, it gets burried every now and then.
I agree that those off tempo ride shots in the intro just don't do it

Overall not a bad track, I think the band could do with more rehearsal. The intro was way to long for me also.

I thought the Singer was very libertines, but the backing not so much.

Again overall it's good and has potential.

I think the main vocals could use a little compression to even them out a little. The drums indeed sound quite "tinky", for lack of a better word, maybe you could eq some of it out, but I think it's part of the original sound, sounds like a rather low quality drum kit. Could also be the mics, though, I don't know.

thanks for all the comments, im currently working on mix 2 :cool:
Aspiring: i wanted to cut the cymbals during the intro the but the band seem to like them so i guess they will do. :rolleyes:

S.Clause: how would you reccomend getting that guitar to be more edgy in the mix, would more compression and eqing the highs up work?

Fasterthanu: it was the first time the band have recorded so there not really used to playing with metronomes. I think the lead (panned right) makes it a bit more rocky, less libertines .. which is not neccesarily a bad thing.

nessbass: i think i will have to compress the vocals a bit more cause there a little jumpy. The drums are fairly low quality >£300 but i think its probably alot to do with the behringer c2's as they sounded pretty nice in the room.

So what do u you all mean by "tinky", do you mean lacking body? any tips?

nessbass said:
I think the main vocals could use a little compression to even them out a little. The drums indeed sound quite "tinky", for lack of a better word, maybe you could eq some of it out, but I think it's part of the original sound, sounds like a rather low quality drum kit. Could also be the mics, though, I don't know.
I agree the drums are lacking the most in the mix. They sound a bit distant.

guitarboi89,
The drums might sound good in the room, but it might be more of your mic position than the mic itself. Try eq'ing the drums to give it a bit more body or fullness.

sorry to be annoying but i really would love some feedback on the second mix, you have all been really helpful already... one listen cant hurt :D
thanks

I was only able to download mix2. The drums still have problems they have alot of 'room' in them which I think is your main problem. Try closer micing and add a couple mics on the toms. You should re-amp the bass to mix in with the DI. If you can, get the singer to do another track and mix the two together. If not then double the track you have and delay it a hair.

Not sure if this will help but for an experiment copy each guitar track to a new track, add a little verb and hard pan them to the opposite side they're on and mix them in to taste.

The lightningmp3 problem might be because you're not waiting long enough for the file to upload. It's a real slow upload time and it seems like your computer freezes.

NYMorningstar said:
The lightningmp3 problem might be because you're not waiting long enough for the file to upload. It's a real slow upload time and it seems like your computer freezes.
Don't forget you have to be running Internet Explorer. (not firefox for example)

Back