lexicon pcm 70 vs newer pcm 92

mofat

Is the 70 still worth purchasing since it's so old and 16 or 20 bits. People still selling em 500-900 bux on Ebay. 92 is only few hundreds more for more update technology. I haven't heard either one. It would only be for vocals in my application. What u guys think?

Does it have to be hardware?
Do you have to have That exact Thing the oldie does?
I have PCM80 and 90 that hardly gets used now. PCM Total Bundle..
Lex224, EMT250 (both UAD
'ten others..
So many great verb/FX for so little $$ now :>)

The PCM 70 hardware, with specifc version number (can't recall)...is still very much sought after and used extensively by people who also have tons of plug verbs. There are maybe only a few actual presets in the unit that get the big raves...I think one is a "Tiled Room"...or something like that.

Anyway...I almost pulled the trigger on a PCM 70 hardware unit a few times...and also have a bunch of good plug verbs.
I'm going from the DAW out to the console to mix, so I like applying the reverb there.

I like hardware cuz I look cooler that way. Jk. Its just I tend to sing more live than record. When u're a bad singer like me, more lush reverb is a good thing! I've got the emt 140 and 250 and lex224 as well. I cant really compare it to the tiled setting on pcm70 since its supposed to be legendary. Of those 3 plugins I have...I like and use the emt140 the most.

The 16 bit thing is irrelevant. Since people are still using these things, it can't be much of a problem.

If you are singing live through a PA system, the nuances of a piece of vintage gear will be lost, and the audience doesn't care. Also, moving the pcm70 from venue to venue will subject it to the possibility that it will get broken or stolen.

I understand getting the pcm70 for studio applications, but it is a complete waste in a live setting.

Back