Lexicon MPX500

harley96

What are your opinions on the quality of reverb, reliability, and the overall usability.Basically,I'm looking for a processor that has some useful effects right out of the box without alot of tweaking.And if I've got to tweak the algorithms how user friendly is it? I don't want opinions based upon what you've heard I'd rather here from members that actually have one and used it extensively.Anyone?

Blue Bear Sound said:
I have a pair of them and use them all the time... they sound quite good.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks I assume it is a little easier to tweak considering it has rotary knobs and less time spent scrolling through the lcd?

Yeah! What Cuzzin' Brucie said! May I also add that in comparison
to other DSP's in that price range, the Lex offers clear and clean
'Verb algorithms (w/o that "metallic" taste) superb delays and chorus efx and easy to use operation. A must in every home studio!

MISTERQCUE said:
Yeah! What Cuzzin' Brucie said! May I also add that in comparison
to other DSP's in that price range, the Lex offers clear and clean
'Verb algorithms (w/o that "metallic" taste) superb delays and chorus efx and easy to use operation. A must in every home studio!

Chalk another one up for lexy,I went to GC today and bought one.I needed a good processor and so far I love it.

I got the MPX500 had it for about a week then took it back ,brought home a TC M-one kept it an hour then took it back, went for the MPX1 and loved it . I got a sweet deal at guitar center $650 out the door AND a free AKG C3000B........good deal I thought........

Good choice Silus,but these are 2 diff models and again at it's price range,street @$400 or the Mr.Q-haggle price of $360, the
Lex500 can't be beat! (though TC's M-1 is also an excellent choice
depending upon the individuals needs)

Harley, let us know what you think about the new unit.

How is it for realistic verbs and how is for sonic mayhem?

I previously owned the MPX100....same FX pretty much, but with limited flexibility. The 100's FX were quite impressive for a cheap-o unit, but I needed more parameter options. The 500 is my next purchase most likely. A buddy has one, and it's quite impressive for the price.

Good point there Drummerbones! The incrementation factor
for the MPX100's (and 200) on the 'verb's algorithms doesn't
allow one to truly fine tune a particular effect thereby appearing more as a internal "preset" than a user adjustable effect !

Yep. For Joe Shmoe, a simple verb preset might get the job done (years back I used an Alesis MidiVerb II....still have it, but talk about no options!), however, the more I dive into recording the more intricities I discover and need available. The Lexicon 500 is cool, and the Alesis MidiVerb IV wouldn't be too shabby either....true independant dual FX with parameter choises at your fingertips.....not bad for the price tags.....

Skycries57 said:
So who does have a better reverb? The MPX500 or the MPX1?
Or better yet, TC's M ONE?
The MPX-1 and the 500 are pretty much the same... the 500 has better A/D converters (24-bit)...

I've compared the MPX500 to the TC M*One and the Lexicon *creams* the TC easily.... I didn't like the TC at all............

Bruce

Hey Bruce,
As long as your here. Was wondering about the upgrade chip for the 500. Have you done the upgrade? And if so, is the compressor anything worth talking about. I have the RNC and a Composer Pro. Just curious if the Compressor on that upgrade is worth anything.
Later, P. Taylor

Blue Bear Sound said:
I haven't done the upgrade, and don't plan to... when I want a compressor, I use a compressor!

;)

Bruce

I thought about the upgrade myself and figured for $75.00 more I could buy another RNC.

how important is it to be able to do multiple fx at once i dont really know so i am asking all of you who do know.

does the mpx 500 only do one effect at a time meaning it cant do multiple fx at once and what are the main differences in the mpx1 vs the mpx500 why does the mpx1 cost more i believe it can do more fx at once correct me if iam wrong here?

Bruce, Pretty much what i figured, As i said, I was just curious. If i was to upgrade it would be more for the extra user memory. But for $ 100.00 I'm with Harley96, I could always use another RNC.

Thanks P. Taylor

harley96 said:

I thought about the upgrade myself and figured for $75.00 more I could buy another RNC.

harley, where can I pick up a RNC for $75 bucks? Can't seem to fine one for under $175.

scodu

scodu said:

harley, where can I pick up a RNC for $75 bucks? Can't seem to fine one for under $175.

scodu

Scodu, I wasn't implying $75.00 is going to get you a rnc but instead of getting the $100.00 upgrade for the mpx500 you could take that $100.00 plus another $75.00 and get a rnc.

Back