Lexicon LXP1

Atwork

Morning(?),

I need all the info. you have on the Lexicon LXP1. I'm negotiating to buy one. How does it sound? How is it to operate? Does it have pre-delay? Is it good for vocals? How editable is it? Also, the blurb I've found on it emphasizes it's MIDI capabilities and tweakability, but I don't use MIDI at all. If you ignore the MIDI side of this unit and use it solely as an audio device is it still great and fully tweakable?

Thanks.

It has got knobs for the major parameters. It's a pretty bare bones simple box, 16 bit, around 10 years old. I personally wouldn't pay more than $150 for one in ideal condition. The tails are a bit rough, I hear, but that's par for low budget stuff. Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades does a set of mods on these to make them better, but they'll likely cost more than you payed for the box. It will improve the quality of the internal sounds, but you're going to have to be big on the internal sounds. If you've looked inside a Lexicon box you'll probably think the DIY path isn't a wise move. I certainly realised my soldering isn't up to snuff to do it. I'm going to send my LXP-15 to Audio Upgrades when I have some spare cash, which I think is going to end up being stellar bang for a relatively small invested buck.

Bear

Bruce,

I have an LXP15, ordered an upgrade chip from Lexicon, which I was told essentially made it a MKII when I installed it...somebody correct me if I'm wrong! Anyway, the upgrade did give me some nice, new patches (to tweak).

BW

Bruce,

I don't think so, I initially thought it sounded better, but now I think it was the "new" factor...you know, different patches, etc. Anyway, I still use it regularly, sometimes over the MPX1 for certain things...for the $ you can't beat the MPX500 though, but you know all about those! (used PCM is on my short list.)

BW

I don't think the LXP15 mkII (which I have) sounds *better*, the MPX500 (which I also have) sounds slightly more "present" to me, but both are good-sounding units..........

Bruce

Is it a better chip or is it different software on the chip? Mine has version 2.0 software, and I got it used so I'm not altogether certain of it's history. I thought it was just a software update.

The LXP-15 w/ Audio Upgrades mod is supposed to be much more like the pro line big brothers, so this could be a consideration when comparing to the MPX-500. I couldn't tell you if the MPX-500 can be upgraded, though. Also bear in mind the LXP-15 was an over $1000 box initially, and I think the typical market depreciation hasn't been too fair to its quality. The MPX does have some more modern features you may find useful, though.

Bear

Back