Levels dBu vs dBFS issue

Smoulders

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could help clear this up for me? I can't seem to get my head around it:

Using Logic Pro 9 and Allen and Heath GSR24 desk.

1) Playing a mastered stereo track in Logic that peaks at 0 dBFS as you would expect.

2) The output of Logic is sent via the desks firewire bus completely unchanged and comes in on a stereo channel 1 on the desk. The level meter on the desk for St channel 1 peaks at +16dbu - +18dBU. I understand that the DAW dBFS is a completely different unit to dBU used on desks and so no surprises here (+18dbu being the equivalent of 0dbDBS)

3) The fader for St channel 1 (the Logic channel) on the desk is set to unity gain however when viewing the signal as it arrives at the Main L+R bus, the level is lower at approx +6dbu as opposed to +16. This is where I am stuck as all the faders are set to 0, so shouldn't the level reaching the main L+R be exactly the same?

4) Because of this apparent drop in level, if I then record the main mix directly back into Logic on a stereo channel, again sent on the firewire bus so no level changes, it comes in at a much lower level, around, -7dBFS

So, in summary a signal that is being sent from Logic into the desk with no level changes and all faders set to 0 is then recorded into Logic at a much lower level. I would expect the recording back into Logic to be the same level as the original.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could help clear this up for me? I can't seem to get my head around it:

Using Logic Pro 9 and Allen and Heath GSR24 desk.

1) Playing a mastered stereo track in Logic that peaks at 0 dBFS as you would expect.

2) The output of Logic is sent via the desks firewire bus completely unchanged and comes in on a stereo channel 1 on the desk. The level meter on the desk for St channel 1 peaks at +16dbu - +18dBU. I understand that the DAW dBFS is a completely different unit to dBU used on desks and so no surprises here (+18dbu being the equivalent of 0dbDBS)

3) The fader for St channel 1 (the Logic channel) on the desk is set to unity gain however when viewing the signal as it arrives at the Main L+R bus, the level is lower at approx +6dbu as opposed to +16. This is where I am stuck as all the faders are set to 0, so shouldn't the level reaching the main L+R be exactly the same?

4) Because of this apparent drop in level, if I then record the main mix directly back into Logic on a stereo channel, again sent on the firewire bus so no level changes, it comes in at a much lower level, around, -7dBFS

So, in summary a signal that is being sent from Logic into the desk with no level changes and all faders set to 0 is then recorded into Logic at a much lower level. I would expect the recording back into Logic to be the same level as the original.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Nick

Is the signal on the desk panned?

But wouldn't the Main L/R stereo outs normally see less signal when the individual channel is at center pan...?

Pan it hard L or R and see where you Main L or R ends up.

Hi there.

I cant get in there till next Monday, but I will check that out. Logic is coming in on a stereo channel rather than a mono one and that channel is peaking at +16 and only dropping when it reaches the Main mix L+R.

As far as I know I have double checked everything. but will look again on Monday. Any suggestions in the meantime greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Back