lets talk preamps

number of outboard preamps do you own thats at least $ a channel?

• no outboard preamps

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 1-2 thats $100 a channel

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • 1-2 thats $200-499 a channel

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 1-2 thats $500-999 a channel

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • 1-2 thats $1000+ a channel

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • 2-4 thats $100 a channel

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • 2-4 thats $200-499 a channel

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • 2-4 thats $500-999 a channel

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • 2-4 thats 1000+ a channel

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • I only have the best period

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I could care less about preamps

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • whats a preamp?

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters

doulos24

how many of you have money invested in quality outboard mic preamps for your studio and how many outbaord preamps or channel strips do you own?

Last edited:
:cool:Yo D!I have a Grace Design that works fine.* I use it on vocals mostly; however, I have used it on a synth.* The newer Grace also has a ribbon mic plugged in. Spring is in the air, I hope.Green Hornet

I just want to test my theory out nl5 this should give me an idea if i am :)

I have 29 mic preamps

16 in my tascam dm24
8 in my sm pr8 $99 dollar
2 in my 001
2 in my 168rc digital mixer
1 art toob mp

and they are all just blah

so I'm diying some new ones as we speak
the pr8 is getting 16 new op amps and cap/audio path upgrades so it will be a clean drum preamp when I'm done. I'm selling off some old outboard to start building some jlm baby animals and go from there I learned the hard way spend your money on mic preamps and good mics people thats the best investment in your studio

I have 29 mic preamps

16 in my tascam dm24
8 in my sm pr8 $99 dollar
2 in my 001
2 in my 168rc digital mixer
1 art toob mp

and they are all just blah

I have 64 preamps here.

32 Trident 80 Series
8 API
2 Great River
2 DW Fearn
2 P/AMR

and if needed I can use -

8 Lexicon
8 Kurzweil
2 Eventide

They all kick ass. :D

What else should we discuss about preamps? I'm always up for a good discussion. :)

ahh a trident board I love that british eq and preamp combo I've got a parts list to diy the eq section of the 80s series. after my pres are done :D

your apis is that a lunch box or the all in one by api?

I have 64 preamps here.

32 Trident 80 Series
8 API
2 Great River
2 DW Fearn
2 P/AMR

and if needed I can use -

8 Lexicon
8 Kurzweil
2 Eventide

They all kick ass. :D

What else should we discuss about preamps? I'm always up for a good discussion. :)

Now put them in order from clean to colored.

UA LA-610 (1 channel - $1100)
Avalon U5 (1 channel - $500)
RNP (2 channels - $250 each)
SansAmp RBI (1 channel - $300)

These have taken care of all my needs...so far, anyway (subject to change at any moment).

Now put them in order from clean to colored.

LOL. None of them are very "clean". The Fearn is the cleanest. Probably followed by the GR if set right, although I usually drive it hard, and back off the output trim, so it get's pretty dirty. The API's sit somewhere between the clean and the dirty GR - although if I got an ATTY, I hear they dirty up pretty nicely too. And the VMP-2 is pretty colored and a bit on the noisy side comparatively. But probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck pre's on the market.

The Tridents don't get used much. :(

I learned the hard way spend your money on mic preamps and good mics people thats the best investment in your studio

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're forgetting a very important part of the equation. Your room(s) and monitors are equally if not more important than mics or pre's. Training your ears is also probably more important than anything.

That all said, I have just under 6 grand in outboard pre amps.

Your room(s) and monitors are equally if not more important than mics or pre's. Training your ears is also probably more important than anything.

you can take your pres and record live or at another recording space and still get great pro quality sound

Training your ears is also probably more important than anything

I'm asuming you would have an ear for this otherwise your really just wasting your time to begin with. there is a lot of natural talent needed to be a mix engineer and good ears are a really big help

please dont asume I'm a noob cause of my gear I'm a producer and have worked in a ton of great studios and rooms. I'm just wanting to bring my own gear up to speed and maybe add a few flavors I can bring with me

every studio I'm in I can proably find an avalon 737 or grace, but how many will have api 312, neve 1272's quad eight spectra sonics 110 or ssl 9000 preamps?

thats why I want to build some of my own preamps and even a few mics so I can bring with me somethings they won't have that will make the projects that much better quality studio with tons of preamps and mics 75 to 100 an hr average pro tools equiped studio with control 24 and a few pres and mics 30 to 40 an hr somestimes less ;)

get it got it good

there the ones ive liked the most based on similar designs i love the vintech 473 and vintech 1272 and several others so thats what im going to start with

time for work took a second job to help pay for gear :D

four channels, four letters:
A.

C.

M.

P.

:D

(they don't fit in the poll options)
(ok, I've got a few others, but I don't want to think about it right now)

(and I don't have a 3124, but I think about it lot)

Back