Let's talk about normalization.

"when you have a series of tracks which sound good relative to each other"

Well, I'm curious about how you bring that state of affairs about, and I suspect you're *just* the person to respond. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I do not have access to compression...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To maybe help you out in your particular situation, does Cakewalk have adjustable volume curves (or at least adjustable fades over highlighted sections)? If so you can do a little of your own compression manually by finding the loudest peaks in your audio and fading out and in the volume by a few dB directly before and after the peak.

It takes a lot of practice to figure out exactly where and how much to fade down in order for it to still sound natural. You'll probably want to start the fade down near the zero crossing (you'll really have to zoom in on the wave file!) directly before the peak, and use your best judgement on fading it back.

I find it really useful sometimes when I want to just reduce one little spot, but don't want to affect a whole track with further processing. If you haven't already you'll want to at least download the trial version of CoolEdit for really doing this manual wave-editing easily, and you can use its statistics function to find the highest peaks really easily. Oh, also it has (or at least it used to have) simple compression processing, so there you go :)

Back