Let's start from the beginning

PFDarkside

Ok, let me first start by describing my situation. I'm in a band, we play gigs and like to record. We've recorded on Cakewalk with some nice results using whatever collection of mics (nicest being an SM-58) through a 4 track as a mixer and into a stock computer soundcard. I had a Bellari tube preamp and a Presonus Blue Max compressor. We are now starting from scratch. The only remaining items are the compressor and the copy of Cakewalk.

We are going to build a new "studio" (note the quotes ;)) and I am looking for advice on the mics. Assume a soundcard in the Maya44 range, and a decent preamp. (Either a Mackie mixer or an inexpensive tube unit)

Basically, I want to be able to record 4 tracks of drums (2 overhead, kick, snare/hat) at once, guitar/bass cabs, acoustic guitars and vocals. (Not simultaneously... either the drums OR the guitars OR the acoustic...) I want an economical solution that will allow me to do this. (Multiple uses for the same mics, minimizing the number I need) I was thinking 57's or 58's could be used for overheads, a specific kick drum mic, then another random mic for the 4th of the set. That way the Shures could be used for guitar cabs, then get a condenser for the acoustic/vocals.

That would mean buying 5 mics now. Any other ideas/suggestions on how to make this economical and still work? Suggestions on the kick mic and condenser mics?

sorry for the long/newbie post, but I want to do it right the first time seeing how were all still finishing up college. :)

Last edited:
This is a newbie friendly environment..no problem there. For a particular application, you can search throught the other postings for a great mic for a particular application like drum overheads. For example, the Behringer ECM8000 (about $35) has worked well for folks for drum overheads if they have a good sounding room. One thing to note, you need phantom power for this mic.

One question thats crucial....what's your budget? This makes a biiig difference in what you'll be able to get.

One other question: what kind of music? Screaming metal music can use sm58's ok if I'm not mistaken, but you'll want a significantly different mic for quieter vocals.

You may also want to spelunk through the posts in the "studio construction" board a few boards down -- the room you record in can make a HUGE difference.

Good Luck!
-lee-

I was trying to get down as much info as possible in order to help out the advice. Let's see, music is alternative rock, we'll say. It's harder edged, but vocal style ranges from sensitive ballads to louder singing, but never screaming, etc... (I wasn't happy with the SM-58 for the vocals last time, to much of a "live" sound)
Budget is low. ;) If I could get all the mics I'd need to cover any of the above situations for under $500, I'd be very happy. EBay is a very viable solution, too.

Thanks for the advice on building the room too. I am aware that the room plays as much a role as all the other parts when trying to get a good sound.

Also, I remember seeing mic packages when browsing through guitar mags. Are any of these packages any good for the money or should I just select my oen set?

I would say what you need for mics is a large diaphragm condenser for vocals, etc., 2 small diaphragm condensers for drum overheads & acoustic instruments, and a kick drum mic. Use your 57's & 58's for guitar, snare & toms. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a 2 channel mic pre as well. For the condensers, do a search here for Studio Projects and MXL. Many people here like the ECM8000 for overheads, but you have to weigh in that it has an omni pattern. For the kick mic search here for AKG D112, shure Beta 52 & 91, and ATM25.
For inexpensive mic pres, search for Joemeek, M-Audio, ART, Studio Projects.
For example, you could get 2 ECM8000's, A SP B1, an ATM25, and a DMP3 pre for about $500.
Another good investment would be studio monitors. Search for M-Audio, KRK, Yorkville, Tannoy. A pair can be had for $300.
There are volumes here about all of these products & more-do some research & you'll be happy with your choices.

Thanks for the reply. :)
In the mean time I've been digging up threads and I'm wondering if 2 SM57's, a Beta52, and two condensers can cover it all? If I choose the condensers in a way that they will work for drum overheads as well as acoustic instruments and voice? Maybe a medium diaphragm condenser? Or should I go with two smalls and a large?

Thanks for the suggestions on pres and monitors.

I'm no expert, but I don't think many here are recording vocals with sd condensors. SM57's & 58's aren't bad vocal mics, though. However, since the B1 & v67 are both under $100, I think you'll hear a big difference in stepping up to one of these. Especially since you will be using inexpensive mic pre's. I was in your same position a less than year ago. I was surprised at how much better our vocal tracks fit into the mix once we went to the v67. Granted we do have some vocal tracks that were recorded on a sm58 then later run through our Joemeek & they sound great. It mostly depends on the style of music. If you're belting it out, the 58 is ok, but if the vocals are quieter or more dynamic, you probably want the ld condenser.

PFDarkside said:
If I choose the condensers in a way that they will work for drum overheads as well as acoustic instruments and voice? Maybe a medium diaphragm condenser?

That's not a bad idea, actually. If you really scour the ebay scene, you might be able to score a couple of used Audio Technica 4033's (overhead, accoustic instrumentes and vocals) and an AT Pro 25 (kick) and stay within your budget.

Back