Let's have some fun...

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
My boss gave me two days off. So I'm a happy puppy.

Today I'll try to make 80's disco -funk (yep, I'm in a disco mood) out of this (click me, I'm a link!), which is just a 'quick-demo' (chords and melody).

I'm afraid the beat will be very different from this demo. Anything can happen, actually.

I hope I'll be back in a couple of hours. :)

Wish me luck :D

Last edited:
Hi there....I'm back!

Whoa! That was a fun day! I need more days like these! :)

I really need to learn how to sing (and mix) this, but you'll get the idea I guess. Intonation is all over the place, but what the heck: I post it anyway.

Very funny to hear the first demo now, btw.

And uh....I'm sorry, the mix is very - VERY - full and the structure pretty disjointed. I didn't use any good taste this time. Just had lots of fun adding tracks and vocal parts until everything that was in my head was out of my head. :)

Man, I do feel a bit funky at the moment. :D

Telefoonbot:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2618&alid=462

You are way too hard on your self. This is soooo good for a day's work. Hell this is good for a month's worth of work.

I think it all sounds great. I don't hear anything that jumps out. Nice guitar work there. I can't believe you can program those drums in a day!!! Nice. Vocals sound nice to me. I got no real complaints here. I'm fishing....maybe things sound a little upper middy except the sweet bass. Maybe you took too many low lows out of the bass. I don't know. Maybe something ielse in the lower mids to warm things up, but that's fishing.

I wish I understood the words. :( :)

"80's disco - funk"? Maybe. Just sounds European to me. :D

Great work on your day off!!!!

Awesome tune. The vocal ideas are very very cool, but I know you can perform some of them a lot better when you take more time. I actually listened on headphones because my cat is in my lap sleeping, so I didn't want to get up and turn the monitors on. :) But I got to hear the panning better so it's cool. Yet another tune of yours loaded with great ideas.

I wanted to hear more of that lead guitar in the beginning, level wise.

You're one funked up Dutchman. :D

Nice grove. Liked the vocals. I still don't know what you have against your voice. Smooth harmonies. I liked that section from 1:23-1:43. Cool riff.

Yeah some mix things need to be addressed. But impressive for a day's work. Nice instrument sounds. Real punchy bass.

Some kind of vocal pop at about 2:29. Smaller one at 2:46.

Liked the "ba-pa-ba-ta-pa's" at 2:59.

Take care Ped... nice work.

Sh*t! You did that in ONE DAY?

This song is very cool! What did you use to program the drums? They sound VERY realistic if that's a machine!

Geez.

My only complaint is that I couldn't understand a damned word! ;)

hey Ped,
....one days work huh? ...BULLSHIT!

j/k....(kinda);):D

It would have taken me a solid part of a day just to program those drums ...not kidding here

....this is real nice man. I didnt find this that flawed at all.
Nice playing throughout. Very nice bass twiddling in this, I enjoyed that alot. ...no bitches here.

btw: noticing your avatar.... ....Mr. Kotter after way to many Jagermeisters?... ....(he's a mean drunk):D

skids: the drum programming took most of the time. I arranged the whole song at work, during breaks and waits for long running queries. So the rest of the parts went down quickly. It's a pretty accurate version of what I heard at work (this is also why I asked my co workers to turn down the volume of their radios at work)

SLuiCe: yeah, the leads need to be heard. I'm proud of them too. It's obvious I'm on a steady diet of Albanian folkmusic and John Scofield at the moment. :)

TripleM: I felt funky for sure, yes. Didn't really care about the mix yet. I probably dislike it tomorrow. :)

ChristopherM: drum samples are Sonic Implants Blue Jay Large Ambient kit I (I added some of the SI cuban percussion instruments). I programmed the basic boom-bamps real time on my keyboard, and edited the fills/flams/toms/cymbals afterwards.

Guernica: drum programming....it's what I've been practicing continuously the past three years. And one can easily notice the improvement I've made. It 'almost' sounds real. Took loads of effort, but I feel I'm getting somewhere. When I played bass to the programmed drum parts it finally felt 'right', if you know what I mean :)

Thanks guys! :D

Lots of cool parts to this tune, especially like the few bars before the instrumental section at 1:18. That's classic!

:)

Nice job.

Pedullist

Fun track!

I really enjoyed it. Especially the part between 1:20 and 1:42!

The rest of it too was very good and well balanced mix-wise but, I doubt you really need lots of help learning how to mix as this sounded pretty slick and not achieved by accident either!

Very impressive!

Cheers! :)

Guernica said:
hey Ped,
....one days work huh? ...BULLSHIT!

j/k....(kinda);):D

It would have taken me a solid part of a day just to program those drums ...not kidding here

no doubt!

great sounds all around Ped! zero suggestions..

There is a nice amount of fluidity in the guitar parts in the beginning that belie how you would classify yourself in terms of musicianship.

I like the crispness of the recorded work, bass and guitar are working excellent together.

Overall this is another excellent recording. You say you did this in one day? That is impressive.

Thanks guys.

I've just retracked the vocals, but I'll wait with posting it again because there's gonna be a little surprise for you guys. I won't tell you what it is yet. It's gonna be very cool I promise! :D

And about the drums: please know that the basic beat is a simple loop I programmed (it's in every verse). Copy paste, done. And mind you: I don't program note-by-note. I play in real time and use 50 to 70% quantization. That saves time. The choruses are very simple boom baps with disco hihat rhythms. So the rest is just icing on the cake: programming the fills (yep, that is note-by-note) and the twiddly diddlies (or is it twoodly doodlies? ;) ). Most of the work went into the intro and outro's....

I thought I was listening to Larry Carlton for Chrissakes! One day? This kind of thing would take me a month - and I still wouldn't play this well!! Bass ROCKS, guitars are excellent, composition is first-class and simple drums are ALWAYS the best (for me in my ever-so-humble-opinion.) Now I can hardly wait for the dessert - these new vocals. Are you in the marketing business? You just making us suffer and check the board every ten minutes?? OKOKOK. I'll wait.
Excellent music!
~Milan

Definitely humbling to hear what the regulars here can do, and in ONE DAY!

I'm trying to learn the tricks of the trade, so one question. I hear a guitar playing rhythm throughout most of the song. What I hear appears to be on the left channel and then echoed on the right channel with a slight delay (and a bit softer). Did I get that right?

DC

Also checked out Opel Manta (2nd attempt)...

Being a car guy, I'm probably biased...
But this one is pretty cool too!

...by the way...what exactly, in English, is a "telephoonbot?"
The only Dutch/English translation engine I could find online couldn't translate it? :)

Back