Let You Down - alternative/rock

damn it. it's called "wonderful tonight". lol. ok....maybe i did mean the other one then. i can't even remember. lyrics are a few years old. whatever, haha. oh that's funny. i'm a clutz.

LOL. Just pretend you meant it. :p Seems like a common mixup.
Idk, maybe it's 'cos lady in red chorus ends with "the way you look tonight"?

Cool thanks, but since I'm not a drummer, I was wondering more like on which beats you started the roll on and which sequence of toms you used (like was the roll a high tom to a low, or a snare in there, etc). I couldn't really tell, but the rolls sounded natural. Did you move them slightly off beat, too, or are they on the grid?

Which roll? Give me a time stamp and I'll pm you about it by Monday. There's a few in this song, if I remember.

LOL. Just pretend you meant it. :p Seems like a common mixup.
Idk, maybe it's 'cos lady in red chorus ends with "the way you look tonight"?

I have no idea anymore. I'm not sure why I wrote that. Oh well, thanks to Robus for picking it out...though it is an actual song, a popular one nonetheless.

I'm not sure why I was surprised to hear a pop song from you. I kind of thought you were more alternative or something. Either way, great job all around. Songwriting, performance, mixing. My only nit would be the drums, but they've been bludgeoned to death in this thread already.

Okay, the other little nit was the delay on the vocals. I guess I'm old school and like those long delays to be clean. The first set were a bit swirly, warbly(?). I don't know. Didn't like it too much, but that's personal preference.

Yeah, I really can't add anything else.
Thanks for sharing.

My only nit would be the drums, but they've been bludgeoned to death in this thread already.

LOL, I didn't think I'd done that! All that I meant was that he has such a commercial-sounding voice that it would totally suit that kind of production, but that if he went that way he would have to embrace the whole package in that genre. I hope it wasn't taken the wrong way.

LOL, I didn't think I'd done that! All that I meant was that he has such a commercial-sounding voice that it would totally suit that kind of production, but that if he went that way he would have to embrace the whole package in that genre. I hope it wasn't taken the wrong way.

Oh no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. Sorry if you took it wrong. I thought your perspective was good; stuff I didn't know. But a few others mentioned the drums as well and I felt like I was piling on.

I'm not sure why I was surprised to hear a pop song from you. I kind of thought you were more alternative or something. Either way, great job all around. Songwriting, performance, mixing. My only nit would be the drums, but they've been bludgeoned to death in this thread already.

Okay, the other little nit was the delay on the vocals. I guess I'm old school and like those long delays to be clean. The first set were a bit swirly, warbly(?). I don't know. Didn't like it too much, but that's personal preference.

Yeah, I really can't add anything else.
Thanks for sharing.

Hey thanks chili. Hmmm Well alternative-pop is what I'd call it, but who knows. I know the drums are a bit heavier than what the tune what probably call for, but that's what I'm trying to do I think. Mix the two into something different. I'm not an American Idol kinda guy, haha so I like to keep a heavier edge to my songs, just a touch, since that's what I grew up listening to and find natural.

I find the long, clean delays end up sounding like I'm suddenly off to the side singing the last word again..so I like to play with filters and make some cool sounds to run the vocals through. Give it a spacey/electronic vibe, if I can. I'm open to other ideas though.

I thought in the intro the backing was a little bit too distorted as compared to the crystal clear voice. It works in the busier parts but for me not so much when more isolated. That's more of an arrangement thing though so the tough part of these critiques is that everyone has a personal preference on arrangement. Mix wise it's fine. Drums are real sounding - if I hadn't read the previous posts I wouldn't have known.

Love the intimate vocals at the beginning transitioning to the vocal vibe later on. Great alt-pop vibe and modern sounding. Your voice is great for this and I can say it could fit in a few other "genres" easily due to its timbre.

I thought in the intro the backing was a little bit too distorted as compared to the crystal clear voice. It works in the busier parts but for me not so much when more isolated. That's more of an arrangement thing though so the tough part of these critiques is that everyone has a personal preference on arrangement. Mix wise it's fine. Drums are real sounding - if I hadn't read the previous posts I wouldn't have known.

Love the intimate vocals at the beginning transitioning to the vocal vibe later on. Great alt-pop vibe and modern sounding. Your voice is great for this and I can say it could fit in a few other "genres" easily due to its timbre.

Thanks ido. I've worked hard on the drums. Good to know they're coming off well to some. and thanks for the vocal comments, you and everyone else who mentioned that. never considered myself a singer until a couple years ago - maybe i should have fronted my own group instead :)

Back