Let me tell ya what I got

EdWonbass

pull the goalie
OK here's the deal. My band likes the recordings i've been making on my own. They got this crazy idea to try to make a demo in my garage. My only means of recording at this point is my Zoom MRS1044. The problem is getting respectable drums recorded. I am limited to only two tracks at a time.
Would it be best to get a decent stereo drum track down or maybe put the kick on one track and a submix of everything else on another?
Who has run into this before and what route did you go?
After all the tracking is done I can move the wave files to the computer for editing so I would like as much control as possible.

EdWonbass said:
OK here's the deal. My band likes the recordings i've been making on my own. They got this crazy idea to try to make a demo in my garage. My only means of recording at this point is my Zoom MRS1044. The problem is getting respectable drums recorded. I am limited to only two tracks at a time.
Would it be best to get a decent stereo drum track down or maybe put the kick on one track and a submix of everything else on another?
Who has run into this before and what route did you go?
After all the tracking is done I can move the wave files to the computer for editing so I would like as much control as possible.

Get a small Berhinger mixer, and 2 overhead condesor mics + 1 dynamic on the kick as an absolute minimum. With a little work on placement, this actually works pretty well.

Thanks Kev, I have access to a small mixer but I will need to get mics.
Maybe since I own all the recording equipment I'll make the band spring for some mics up front and when I get some dough I can buy them out. Hell, we gig every weekend. :D

The funny thing is, we recorded a song we were working on at practice with just a LD condensor picking up the whole room and the drums sounded pretty good. I guess the thing I worry about most is having control of the various drum levels and EQ during mixdown.
I will experiment thanks

EdWonbass said:
Thanks Kev, I have access to a small mixer but I will need to get mics.
Maybe since I own all the recording equipment I'll make the band spring for some mics up front and when I get some dough I can buy them out. Hell, we gig every weekend. :D

The funny thing is, we recorded a song we were working on at practice with just a LD condensor picking up the whole room and the drums sounded pretty good. I guess the thing I worry about most is having control of the various drum levels and EQ during mixdown.
I will experiment thanks

If you want individual drum tweaking post-recording, then you really need to spring for a higher level solution like a Delta 1010 or some of the other multitrackers out there. I don't think overdubbing BD or anything else really makes much sense - the feel would be lost.

Back