let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
IMG_0818.JPG

You can kinda see what's what. As far as the configuration goes. Gear-wise there's (left) an early Joe Meek comp v:2.07, a JJ Audio modded Art VLA (made in USA..I bought it new), a Drip Audio Opto 6(LA2A), and a Warm Audio WA76, and a Parasound HA1000 amp prepped by Sundholm Engineering for the Sundholm 6.5's on the bridge. Also a set of Neumann KH 120's.

One the right theres the power supply for the Hill Multi-mix in the upper rack, the LAST ADK AP-2 ever built, a Focusrite 428, a True Systems P2 Analog, a Manley DMMP , and a Groove Tubes ViPre.

The other rack has the Pro Audio LA prepped and cabled TT Bantam patch bays, a Behringer Powerplay 16 distro master for the phones (6 stations), an Apogee Rosetta 200 with a 192 HD card I use exclusively for the Eleven rack I/O, an Avid Omni , an Avid Analog 16 I/O and handy dandy drawers.

It's still unbelievable that I bought the desk for $150 off of Craigslist.

I can do 20 tracks at a time and am on PT HD 10. I'll go to HD 12 when I get serious about this stuff.

Shoot I forgot the most important thing....Herman Miller Aeron! It's the best thing I ever bought.....

You guys have desks that are so organized and professional looking. Props!

I just have multiple dirty screens, ashtrays and dust...

I thought about cleaning up and charging more money, but then I really like dirty myself. It is a curse... :)

I thought about cleaning up and charging more money, but then I really like dirty myself. It is a curse... :)

You would hate my place then...I vacuum & dust regularly! :p

Now about the ashtrays...you should put a stop to that, and not because I'm trying to preach about healthy lifestyles (though it does have a lot to do with that)...but cigarette smoke ends up on everything in your studio, and it leaves a coating of tar and crud.

It's much better to have 5 minute smoke breaks, and make everyone go outside to steam one...and the breaks are an opportunity to talk about the session, etc.

Didn’t you recently do a spring cleaning?

You would hate my place then...I vacuum & dust regularly! :p

Now about the ashtrays...you should put a stop to that, and not because I'm trying to preach about healthy lifestyles (though it does have a lot to do with that)...but cigarette smoke ends up on everything in your studio, and it leaves a coating of tar and crud.

It's much better to have 5 minute smoke breaks, and make everyone go outside to steam one...and the breaks are an opportunity to talk about the session, etc.

I know. Though part of why my studio works for me and those who come here, is about the dirty. The fact that they feel like they are in a live (rehearsal space or venue) environment that is familiar is comfortable. Having the drums and guitar amps isolated and everyone but the drummer is in the control room playing as if they were at rehearsal (yet they can actually hear themselves), is priceless to many. I can't count how many times I have heard 'We should always rehearse like this'. Clients many times have spent much time/money here writing songs while recording.

But yes, I know the smoke kills. But from my personal experience and those that enjoy this environment, well... gear is replaceable. A performance is not.

I started this studio because I hated the sterile environment of pro studios and I love musicians giving their best when they are relaxed and in an environment that is not stressed or driven by rules. Though there are obvious rules that go without saying...

Just my thing. Not disrespecting or saying anything negative about your beautiful studios! I am in envy. :)

A studio needs to be comfortable and inviting. That can wildly vary from person to person.
If one feels out of place in the environment, they're not going to do their best.

Comfort is one thing...it can usually be accomplished by having a welcoming and interested attitude towards a client.......but smoke especially from cigarettes contains chemicals which will eventually break down electronic components inside the gear. Sure, it can be replaced but I personally have no desire or budget to fund all this more than once. Plus it's expensive! I bought a really good Les Paul Standard with the money I saved from quitting 17 years ago!

I know. Though part of why my studio works for me and those who come here, is about the dirty. The fact that they feel like they are in a live (rehearsal space or venue) environment that is familiar is comfortable. Having the drums and guitar amps isolated and everyone but the drummer is in the control room playing as if they were at rehearsal (yet they can actually hear themselves), is priceless to many. I can't count how many times I have heard 'We should always rehearse like this'. Clients many times have spent much time/money here writing songs while recording.

But yes, I know the smoke kills. But from my personal experience and those that enjoy this environment, well... gear is replaceable. A performance is not.

I started this studio because I hated the sterile environment of pro studios and I love musicians giving their best when they are relaxed and in an environment that is not stressed or driven by rules. Though there are obvious rules that go without saying...

Just my thing. Not disrespecting or saying anything negative about your beautiful studios! I am in envy. :)

I'm just talking about smoking in the studio...and not about laying down a bunch of rules, causing stress and making the recording vibe sterile. :D ;)

At my place, I don't even make a point of saying anything...everyone that's been here seems to respect and appreciate the well taken care of studio space, which creates a very welcoming vibe. I've never noticed that it affected performances in a negative way...actually, quite positive.
People will kick off their shoes and get comfortable as soon as they walk in...like they're at home.

TBH...these days, I couldn't be in a room with anyone smoking for more than 30 seconds.
I did that shit back when smoking in clubs was allowed, when I was gigging...and you could cut the smoke with a knife.
I'm so glad that's over...and now I even see those who still smoke, but they won't do it inside at home anymore...they step out on the patio.

Again...not trying to preach. It's your studio, you can set the vibe you like. :)
I think people would respect and follow whatever way you go....it's your studio.

I'm just talking about smoking in the studio...and not about laying down a bunch of rules, causing stress and making the recording vibe sterile. :D ;)

At my place, I don't even make a point of saying anything...everyone that's been here seems to respect and appreciate the well taken care of studio space, which creates a very welcoming vibe. I've never noticed that it affected performances in a negative way...actually, quite positive.
People will kick off their shoes and get comfortable as soon as they walk in...like they're at home.

TBH...these days, I couldn't be in a room with anyone smoking for more than 30 seconds.
I did that shit back when smoking in clubs was allowed, when I was gigging...and you could cut the smoke with a knife.
I'm so glad that's over...and now I even see those who still smoke, but they won't do it inside at home anymore...they step out on the patio.

Again...not trying to preach. It's your studio, you can set the vibe you like. :)
I think people would respect and follow whatever way you go....it's your studio.

Right. I envy your room. But yeah, smokey stinky is the vibe here.

Until that changes, it is what it is... Product seems good and clients happy. Not changing just yet.

Right. I envy your room. But yeah, smokey stinky is the vibe here.

Until that changes, it is what it is... Product seems good and clients happy. Not changing just yet.

Just to give full disclosure...
I use to be a smoker....went trough my 20s and into my 30s sucking on cancer sticks, but then I managed to quit, and it's been about 22 years now that I've not taken a single puff, nor have I wanted to.

Back then, if you walked into my studio space...yeah, stinky and ashtray's full of butts. When I was going well into the wee hours of the morning...man, I was steaming them one after the other.
Anyway, when I went to clean off the equipment at one point because I could feel and see a gungy film building on everything...I was fucking shocked at the amount of yellow crud that came off, and it took quite a bit of work to get it off. I mean, I had to resort to some industrial cleaners to cut through that shit.
I think that was one more motivation for me to quit smoking...knowing how nasty that crud was on the gear, I could only imagine my lungs.

So I wasn't trying to be preachy about the health effects of smoking or because I was some neat-nick...it was really from first-hand experience.
I think if I had continued to smoke :facepalm: (so glad I got the monkey off my back)... I would have then avoided it in the studio, and especially as my audio gear tastes improved and budgets allowed. I certainly wouldn't want to submit my decent gear to smoke, had been stupid enough to keep smoking.
Thankfully...both gear and lungs have been extremely grateful the last 22 years...not to mention the almost instant improvement in overall health.

That said...I certainly know (and remember) that grungy, smoke-filled studio vibe, and the all-nighters...there are some fond memories. :)

Yeah...that IS a sweet tracking room. :thumbs up:

I would kill to have a second room that size to add to my current space, which is an all-in-one tracking/control room.
If I could keep my current space as the "control room" and add something as big as your tracking room...I would be very happy.
I never wanted to cut my space in half, as I don't like small, stuffy control rooms.

I guess since everyone is posting these great studio pics...I'll have to post up a couple of fresh ones of my own now. :)

Back