let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Here're a few snaps of my recording space. I rearranged things as I scored an excellent late 90's Yamaha direct signal stereo amp and figured it should be set up in as good a position as possible to take advantage of its excellent sound and to improve work flow.
The room is still a work in progress but coming together slowly. No treatment as yet - not until I work out what goes where 1st anyway.

Grungy as all get-out, man. I love it!
I spy a little Pignose atop your Marshall. That's super cool! Have you used that on any tracks yet?

Thanks Adam,
Grungy but, surprisingly tidy though you wouldn't know from the snaps!
The Pignose has been used on a couple of recordings. I'm still trying to work out the best way to mic it. It is excellent as a pre or effect going into another amp too.

Wow... 3 years apparently since I've shown my space...

Biggest change: No more hardware mixers/faders on my desk... Using 3 video monitors now, with the main one being a touchscreen... I now slide faders just like I would on my smartphone ;)

New Desk2.jpg New Desk3.jpg New drums.jpg new dupe.jpg new lava.jpg new mics.jpgnew mics2.jpg new mon.jpg new printer.jpg new rack.jpg new spinal.jpg new amp.jpgNew Beatles.jpg

recording2.JPGHere's my endeavor, the 688 is really what prompted me to register in a few forums. I decided to bring it out of hibernation and demo some band originals. I set it up and did a trial run to verify it still works. Things were going good until it randomly stops during play back. Anyway, found an awesome thread in here that will help me out (replacing belt and battery). We practice in the garage, but I keep most of my stuff upstairs in the frog. While researching the problem with the 688, I figured out a clear path to route a snake from frog to garage and bought a 10 ft. section of some Mogami 24 cable. So this is definitely a work in progress and the gears are turning.

Last edited:
Cool. I have a 688 as well. Awesome machine, but a bit confusing in terms of routing sometimes, and I had to replace a belt which improved performance, but it's still not 100% reliable. Worth the effort though for what it is...

Heatmiser, you're the reason I'm about to tackle replacing mine with confidence. I joined a few forums in the past few days that I had been stalking, or shall I say internet research, and someone sent me a link to your dissemble of the 688 thread. So I say thank you! I have ordered 2 belts and just got a free copy of the service manual, so this weekend I will read over it. Next week I will replace the belt and the battery. Last week I took apart a 424 mkII that was given to me because it was dirty, had something lose in it and I was told that one of the channels or tracks (track 3?) wouldn't record. So what did I have to lose. Cleaned it up pretty good and got all 4 channels and tracks to record. I was getting this intermittent scratchiness going on (like a dirty pot?) when I decided to deal with that later and bring out the "big guns" (that's what I told my wife anyway about the 688). Before it started to randomly stop, I did manage to record a care-free version of Waylon Jennings "I Don't Think Hank Done It This Way," which I was really pleased with considering the effort. Any way, I will keep you posted on my progress.

Cool! What a coincidence. That was probably the only really helpful thing I ever did for this site...normally I just take, take, take :D.

Looking at your set-up there where you have some space, consider picking up the RC-88 remote on ebay or something once you get the 688 squared away. I found one for $40 and it's got a long, sturdy cable so you can perform most functions with ease from across the room.

Thanks heat, I already have the remote (bought it last year). I have just under $400 in the 688, RC-88, an Anvil road case and a Tascam demagnetizer. My next adventure will be to run a Mogami 24 cable from my frog to the garage, building 2 junction boxes. This will allow me to let the musicians sweat it out in the garage while I work it out in a climate controlled environment. Somehow I will build an isolation box in my attic for a guitar amp. I have a Fostex B-16D that I paid $50 for that I need to get serviced. Then my life will be complete!

I really like the touch screen mixing board. Can you get the same precision with that?
Good luck with your 688!

A few pics of my spot, The Groove Room.

Version 1.5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 703
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 703
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg