let me reprase

tsqair

i just bought a tascam M 216 mixer. How can i hook this up if there is only rca input's... but no outputs on the back of the mixer. There has to be a way to get the signal back to my tascam tsr 8. My fostex board had rca's for imput and output. This tascam board only has rca input ,1/4 input and 1/4 insert for track's 1-8 .what give's?
tommy

i just bought a tascam M 216 mixer. How can i hook this up if there is only rca input's... but no outputs on the back of the mixer. There has to be a way to get the signal back to my tascam tsr 8. My fostex board had rca's for imput and output. This tascam board only has rca input ,1/4 input and 1/4 insert for track's 1-8 .what give's?
tommy

Hi,

I am using my long term memory here as it's been a lot of years since I used a M216.

The mixer has 4 group outputs, each group has 2 rca connectors that are parrallel outputs, so typically you connect the group outputs to the TSR8 inputs as 1 to 1 & 5, 2 to 2 & 6, 3 to 3 & 7 and 4 to 4 & 8. You can re-patch to other configurations if you wish but this would be the normal patch. You run the 8 channels from the TSR8 to the tape inputs on channels 1 to 8 of the mixer. There is a selector at the top of the channel that routes the signal through the monitor section or the main bus depending of if you are recording or mixing down.

Ok the next question would be "I can only record 4 tracks at once this way" That is true but the M216 has some limitations. The is a work around, you can use the channel insert points as a direct outs buy making up some "ring tip sleeve" leads to RCA leads, Connect the insert out to the tape in on the TSR8 and the tape out on the TSR8 to the insert return. The signal level to tape may have to be controlled by the gain / trim pot at the top of the channel because the fader could be in circuit before or after the insert (I am not sure about this on the 216 give it a try). You monitor the recording via the TSR8.

Hope this helps, and you need to get a manual if you have not got one, answers a lot of questions.

I did do some nice recordings on my old M216.

Cheers

Alan.

thanks

thanks very much for your imput Alan that should do it i jusy need to get the right cables
tommy

Back